Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

A part of my Kakuriyo novel collection: Volumes 7-10. 


This post contains HEAVY spoilers. You’ve been warned. 

I’m at the moment translating Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi Vol 7 Ch 1, following on the surprising news from Raijū in Vol 6 Ch 10. There is no Ōdanna-sama in Vol 7 Ch 1 because of what happened in Vol 6 Ch 10, but we do have Aoi feeling his loss (which is great from the viewpoint of story development, but it’s still painful). In the same chapter, one of my 2nd most favourite characters, i.e. Byakuya-san (yep, now I actually have Byakuya and Hatori competing with Ginji for the runner-up in my heart), is in charge of the move to rescue Ōdanna and Tenjin-ya. Byakuya is actually going to be very active in this quest, hence he’s going to be a very close ally of Aoi’s. Surprising, really, because he was very cold when we first met him… (but then we realised he was a cat-lover, and I always forgive cat-lovers…).

But because there is no Ōdanna-sama in the next few chapters, I actually cheat-read (or shall I say jump-read) to Volumes 8, 9 and 10… to find out what happened to Ōdanna-sama. Now, if you have read Vol 6 Ch 10, you will know that Ōdanna-sama is now missing because of a grave secret that he’s been keeping until Raijū found it out. Now, I don’t know yet how that Raijū-me (in Japanese, oftentimes, if you add め ‘me’ after a name, it actually is a curse-suffix) found out about Ōdanna’s secret, but it did cost our darling Master his position and his freedom (read on and you’ll agree). But I do know several things from the cheat-read of Vols 8-10… not just about Ōdanna-sama, but also Aoi etc… which I am dying to discuss with someone. At least, dying to write down so I don’t keep it to myself. 

With the holiday coming to an end, my translating speed will be vastly reduced. I don’t want to keep you tethered to a spoilers hook while I can just spoil it… plus, it will be a good few months (if not the whole year) before I can finish reading the remaining of the novel volumes properly to understand the details of the main events. 

Thus this post. I cannot keep this secret for too long anyway… wonder how Ōdanna-sama kept his secrets for centuries if not a millennium…

But it doesn’t mean that I will abandon translating some important chapters. We owe it to Aoi and Ōdanna and the whole Kakuriyo friends to understand how they eventually arrive at those events… thus, I will continue translating and/or summarising chapters. I just need to share these secrets and spoilers with you now… and then I’ll return to translating Vol 7 Ch 1 soon. I trust that you will still want to read chapters in Volumes 7-10 chronologically as they become available… But in the meantime, if you are very curious like me, these are the spoilers for Volumes 7-10. Heavy spoilers ahead, but I’ve put the spoilers script now to make it easier for you to decide whether you’ll read it or not.


(please note that the spoilers cannot be opened if you use the embedded Blogger "Translate" function to read this post. For that, you need to read the post in English... sorry...)


Part 1: Spoilers related to Ōdanna-sama and Aoi


First spoilers: Ōdanna-sama’s favourite food. This one is rather trivial, but it is something that has bugged Aoi for almost a year, so let’s get it out.

Spoilers:

Negi tamago-yaki, or Japanese omelette with chopped spring onions

I think it’s in Vol 9, because in Vol 10, Aoi already knew about Ōdanna’s favourite food. After I learned about it, when I re-watched Ep 1 of the anime again, I realised that the first thing that Ōdanna ate out of Aoi’s bento was actually the tamago-yaki. 

Edit 23 June'21: Now I think Ōdanna-sama's favourite food is either any egg dishes in general or omellette. Read Vol 9 Ch 6 for the hints.


This is not the first bento that Ōdanna got from Aoi,
but see what he aimed to pick with his chopsticks...






Second spoilers: Ōdanna-sama’s real name. This one is big. 

Spoilers:

His real name is Setsu 刹, which means “temple”, as in a Buddhist temple, or the “central pillar of a pagoda”. Scroll down to read the next spoilers about Ōdanna-sama’s secret to learn how he got that name; you’ll see how that name befits him, considering how central Ōdanna-sama is to Tenjin-ya. It’s a beautiful name befitting his character.




Third spoilers: Ōdanna-sama’s secret that caused him to becoming a fugitive. This one is massive. The Kakuriyo Japanese Wiki page was the first to spoil me about Ōdanna’s secret, but I only started to grasp its magnitude upon further reading the novel.

Spoilers:

Centuries ago, if not a millennium ago, Ōdanna-sama was a jyaki, jaki or gaki 邪鬼, an evil spirit who lived underground where Tenjin-ya was later built. According to Kappapedia, jaki (also called Amanojaku) are evil, but after getting trampled by the Four Heavenly Kings, they repented and then served Lord Buddha by carrying lanterns. Sometimes jaki is also called the Hungry Ghost

In the case of our Ōdanna-sama, when he was a jaki, Ōgondōji-sama awakened him and somehow this jaki then repented and became a good spirit. IDK the details yet, it’s in Vol 8 the last chapter. However, my guess is that  Ōgondōji-sama  bailed him out on one condition that he became a good spirit (or something like that). Ōgondōji-sama  later named him Setsu, and he later grew to be a character befitting that name. 

[Update 15 March 2021]: Upon skimming the end of Vol 9, I now realised that Ōgondōji-sama actually found Setsu as a little jyaki (as in, he was not a grown-up jyaki when they met). Ōgondōji-sama also did not name the little jyaki 'Setsu'; it was the name he was born with because his jyaki tribe is actually a 'Setsuki' or a tribe of jyaki living in temples. So, 'Setsu' was really Ōdanna's real name, so to speak. He still grew up to be a character befitting his real name. [End of update 15 March 2021]

The thing is, every ayakashi in Kakuriyo dislikes – if not hates – jaki/gaki/jyaki. Thus the reason why Ōgondōji-sama and Ōdanna-sama never revealed the latter’s true past. It also explains what Ōdanna-sama said in Ep 20 of the anime when he and Aoi visited the Dragon Palace. He said that he grew up amongst miasma. Since he was actually a jaki, I can now understand what he meant. A jaki wouldn’t grow up amongst roses; he would instead grow up amongst (or was formed by) those miasma. 


In Ep 20, Ōdanna-sama said he grew up amongst miasma


See, this Heian-era scroll below shows quite a scary gaki…which is a far cry from our Ōdanna-sama. However, if before he became Ōdanna-sama he was like that, I can understand how Ōdanna-sama was reluctant about telling Aoi his past.

Courtesy of the Kyoto National Museum, source


In fact, after checking Vol 4 Ch 9 p 332, I can confirm that the oni that Ōdanna-sama killed in Ep 20 anime WAS actually a jyaki 邪鬼... 


In Vol 4 Ch 9 (anime Ep 20), Ōdanna and Aoi visited the Dragon Palace and Aoi was attacked by an oni. In the anime, Aoi just said “oni!”. BUT in the novel, she actually realised it was a jyaki (p 332). The kanji 邪鬼 is clearly written many times in that section. That 邪鬼 jyaki even said this to Ōdanna: 「ふざけるな!お前だって、お前だって、”同族” のくせに!」

“Stop messing around! You, you’re actually the same tribe as me!"

When I watched the anime, I thought the oni referred to Ōdanna being the same with him, an oni. But the oni's words actually mean that Ōdanna was also a jyaki (that jyaki would recognise Ōdanna as another jyaki on the spot, being from the same 'species'). The anime purposely did not translate the jyaki as jyaki… so that when the jyaki said that Ōdanna was like him, people don’t immediately link it to the latter being a jyaki!


In fact, this scene at the Opening 1 of the anime may have been spoiling Ōdanna's secret. Is this his actual jyaki form...? It is very similar in shape to the dishevelled hair of the jyaki that attacked Aoi...



Fourth spoilers: We know from the summary of the Gaiden that Aoi would marry Ōdanna-sama. But how did he re-propose?

Spoilers:

Well, he didn’t. Aoi beat him to it. She reverse-proposed him first in Vol 10 Ch 5. They have met again in Vol 9 Ch 1, when he answered her questions (including about his pact with Shirō), but not about his real name. However, somehow they got separated again, with Ōdanna being locked into a hellish cave (or an underground, same-same…). In Vol 10 Ch 5, with the help of her friends (IINM, either Ōgondōji-sama or Byakuya showed her the cave), Aoi found Ōdanna in a hellish cave where he was sort of locked down for his punishment of him being a jaki. I choked on my tears when reading this chapter last night, for it was so sad and beautiful. Ōdanna was so surprised to find Aoi in his jail-cave, particularly when Aoi called him with his old name, Setsu. From the cheat-read, I don’t think Aoi knew that Ōdanna’s name was Setsu because he told her, for in Vol 10 Ch 5, he was actually surprised to know she knew.

[Update 15 March 2021]: Upon skimming Vol 9 Ch 7, I now realised that it was Ōgondōji-sama who showed Aoi the scene where the zashiki-warashi met Setsu for the first time. Aoi 'saw' the little jyaki telling Ōgondōji-sama of his real name, but the former couldn't quite catch his name. It was only at the end of that chapter that Aoi realised what Ōdanna's real name was... it was 'Setsu' 刹. So, in Vol 10 Ch 5, when Ōdanna-sama was surprised that Aoi called him with his old name, he was surprised because he actually didn't get to tell her that before he was whisked back to Yōto. [End of update 15 March 2021]

Nevertheless, Ōdanna told Aoi to leave. Repeatedly.

“Why have you come to this place? This is not a place for you. Go home at once. I’m already… already…”

But Aoi was having none of that. Instead, she called him with his real name again, and then told him that she wanted to marry him. Her words were:

“I love you. Please make me your bride.”

He was still unmoved. A few lines later, he told her to go back home again. 

“Go home, Aoi. I don't love you. The marriage is but an ‘engagement’, that’s all.”

But it seems Aoi saw through Ōdanna-sama’s lies. She knew he loved her just as much as she loved him. And she finally won her argument. Ōdanna-sama mellowed down and relented. He did ask her though:

“Aoi… Me being like this, is this alright for you?” 

The JP version is "...Aoi. Konna ni boku de, ii no kai?". "Konna ni" means "like this", but I think Ōdanna meant "like this" to be his whole package, i.e. him being a fugitive, a former jyaki, and might have no future at all in Kakuriyo.

Aoi has her answer ready.

“If it’s not with you, Ōdanna-sama, I’m not getting married. I don’t think I’ll ever love this way again.”

And this is another important bit, again thanks to the Brazil FB page: After stating those lines, to show Ōdanna that she meant business, Aoi actually kissed him! Like, aggressively on the lips! Complete with her yanking Ōdanna's collar to get closer to his lips! OMG, I may need to just translate the entirity of that bit in Vol 10 Ch 5 just for the kiss! Even Ōdanna-sama commented on how aggressive that kiss was!

And finally, finally Ōdanna-sama said this:

“Aoi, I’m so happy to learn about your feelings for me. As for me, you are truly my beloved.”



And I wailed cos I cannot speak of this to a living person within a 10 m distance! And I wish my Japanese is waaaay better so I can just gulp all Volumes 7-10 in one go and digest it all for you!


Fifth spoilers: The food that Ōdanna-sama gave Aoi when she was an abandoned child?

Spoilers:

It is the seed of his own spiritual power. His own life-force, so to speak. I haven’t got the details, but Vol 9 Prologue has it. The JP Wiki entry of Kakuriyo also said that, because preparing this meal was very difficult, Ōdanna-sama's life has been cut short to prepare this meal.




Sixth spoilers: Regarding the pact between Ōdanna-sama and Tsubaki Shirō…

Spoilers:

Well, it’s not JUST with Shirō. Ōdanna-sama seems to have given his words that he would protect Aoi to another person. That person is none other than Tsubaki Kyōtarō 津場木杏太郎, Aoi’s missing father! Kyōtarō actually introduced Ōdanna-sama to Aoi in the very first line of the first page of Vol 9. I haven’t got the details yet (still have to read that chapter), but the chapter was narrated by Ōdanna-sama himself, and he knew that Aoi was Kyōtarō’s beloved daughter.  Oh my… what an interesting addition…





Seventh spoilers: How come Aoi found Ōdanna-sama in the place described in the 4th spoilers above? 

Spoilers:

In Vol 9 Ch 6, somehow the Royal troops found out Ōdanna's hideout in the Cultural Gate. To secure Aoi's safety, Ōdanna agreed to return to Yōto with the Royal troops, leaving Aoi devastated. Later, Aoi regrouped with Tenjin-ya and with her allies in Yōto (including, of course, Ritsuko-san, plus the Second Prince, so that Aoi etc could sneak into the Palace dungeon to find Ōdanna.

 



Part 2: Spoilers related to supporting characters

Now, in addition to those heavy spoilers above, there are some spoilers that I’d like to share with you here. They are not lighter per se, but they are important IMO. I only put the spoilers tag for the ones I consider major, but all of them are of course spoilers.


First: Akatsuki and O-Ryō eventually dated. There is at least one chapter in Vol 10 dedicated to just both of them, and I’d like to read and translate it if I have the power, time and energy to do so.

Second: with regards to Nuioin-sama and Ritsuko-san…

Spoilers:
In the Gaiden, we will learn that Ritsuko-san finally passed away a while after Aoi and Ōdanna-sama got married. Her passing impacts our couple a lot, but it brings them closer as well. After all, just like Nuioin-sama, Ōdanna-sama will have to live a much longer life than Aoi, and he has to see her passing too one day. I don’t know more about Ritsuko-san’s passing, but I am surprised that she did pass away in the Gaiden. I thought she would live longer… hence I’m sad…


Third: About Byakuya-san...

Spoilers:
He apparently used to have a human wife. The human wife died long ago, but I'm not sure whether it was before or after he joined Tenjin-ya. It's in Volume 7, so I have to just be patient and read through the volume (and I say "I" have to be patient because I mean it... I need to just pace myself cos there's no way I gobble the whole volume with my current level of Japanese...)


Fourth: on a lighter note, Ginji actually has a driving licence in our world! I have no details about it, but we’ll learn about it in Vol 10, most likely after we have dealt with the Raijū business. 

Fifth: It seems Kasuga and Kiyo (her husband from the Northern Land) will have a child in Gaiden. Would be interesting to see Aoi’s and Ōdanna-sama’s child too, but I suppose I’m happy that the novel ends here.



Well, that’s it for the spoilers. I will add more spoilers as I do jump-reading, particularly regarding Ōdanna's case.

By the way, Yūma Midori sensei has written another light novel (with 10 volumes as well IINM) called the “The Diary of an Asakusa Oni-bride” (浅草鬼嫁日記). It’s a reverse-Kakuriyo whereby an oni by the name of Shūtendōji 酒呑童子 came to our world to live with the girl of his dream. Oni Shūtendōji is a friend of Ōdanna-sama, and they would meet up every now and then whenever the latter visits Utsushiyo. That would be a nice cross-over, though judging from the artwork of the  Asakusa Oni-bride Diary, I find Ōdanna-sama (at least his physical description) a much more appealing oni to me…


And I actually have vol 7 of the "Asakusa Oni Bride"! It was mistakenly sent to me in lieu of Kakuriyo vol 7, but the kind seller said I could keep it... You can see Shūtendōji sleeping next to the pretty girl


Anyway, I’ll keep translating whenever I have time. I think I should be able to push through Vol 7 Ch 1 just around the first week of January, but I will be less productive with the translation afterwards. An Utsushiyo girl must tend to herself eh…


Comments

Unknown said…
Omo! This is just so adorable! (Especially Aoi and Odanna's relationship development! I'm spoiled but still it's worth it, doesn't make the content less thrilling, can't wait for more, thank you for this!
Icha said…
Thank youuuuu Grey! (You're Grey, I take it?)

Yes, there are so many questions remaining anyway, so these spoilers, if anything, just make me want to devour the novel even further. I'm even more thrilled now!

Thanks again for reading!
The Marsh Gypsy said…
THANK YOU!! I was so sad to find there was no manga after the series (or only a few chapters) and then when I found out it was a light novel with no translations even more sad! Cutest Anime and story I have run accross for some time. It just makes me feel happy and these aren't very pleasant times. Thank you for doing this. And your writing is beautiful and formatted so easy on the eye to read. I appreciate every letter and detail you have put in to translate this so smoothly. Thank you <3.
Icha said…
Thank you so much, Gypsy, for your kind words! Indeed, it’s not very pleasant times these days, which is one of the reasons that I put more efforts in translating the chapters.... I thought, even if I could bring just a bit of a smile per day after the readers read my translations and articles, that’s so worth it...

Aside from that, the Kakuriyo story is very beautiful. I’ve finished transcribing Vol 8 Epilogue (with Ōdanna’s narration), and it’s such a beautiful, albeit short chapter that I want to put it up immediately. Please check again in two nights to see if I have uploaded that chapter...

Thank you as well for the compliment in my translation and formatting... it’s not easy to translate with my current skills, hence I strive to be as clear as possible.

Take care and stay safe n healthy, Gypsy!
Umenohana123 said…
I've just finished watching Kakuriyo yesterday and I'm so happy to have found your page. Like you, I feel empty and need more of Aoi, Odanna, Ginji and the others and reading the spoiler pages makes me so happy. I just want to say 'thank you so much' for doing this and I look forward to reading all your translations.

I'm watching 'Natsume Yujin-cho' right now, hoping to fill the void, and I read that you liked that one too! Thank you again for doing this!
Icha said…
Ume no Hana (what a beautiful name!), thank you for reading and comment! Truly appreciate it!

Kochira koso, I'm also very happy to know this page gives so much happiness to people from around the world... thus, your happiness is my happiness!

I'm currently translating Vol 9 Ch 2, and hope I can finish transcribing part 1 by tomorrow night (been a busy week). Hope I'll be able to upload the translation by late Sunday night. It contains another information about Ōdanna-sama's 'species'.

Enjoy Natsume! I love that series to pieces!
FireCracker082 said…
Wow! this is so great! I just finished the anime, and I'm crying cuz there isn't a season 2. I'd love to read your translated chapters. But I LOVE the spoilers, since I don't have time to read that much. Thanks so much for doing them!
Sign me
A new anime enthusiast!
Icha said…
Fire Cracker, thank you for visiting and commenting! I never thought that the spoilers would be useful for those with limited time (and want to be spoiled, of course), so I’m now glad that I made the post!

Yeah, the anime had that effect on viewers, right... I hope they make season 2 soon...
Unknown said…
Thank you so much for this, I've been searching everywhere. I have a question, did Odanna and Aoi return to Tenjin-ya after confessing their love? Or did he remain a fugitive? Did Raiju continue to run Tenjin-ya i wanted to confirm, I didn't know if I misread anything. Thank so much for this information btw.
Icha said…
Hi Unknown,

Glad you found this blog! Please tell your friends (who want to know about it) about this blog?

To answer your question, yes Ōdanna and Aoi return to Tenjin-ya after the whole saga finished in vol 10. Raijū will be defeated somehow through Aoi's cleverness (I am not clear yet as to how), and I think Raijū will be sent to another dimension as a punishment. The King then restores Ōdanna's name and he returns to be the Master of Tenjin-ya at the end of vol 10. Vol 11 (the gaiden) has additional stories e.g. Aoi becoming the Young Proprietess and it seems Ginji is elevated to a more important role (somewhere between Waka-danna and Ōdanna's role).

Hope it helps!
Anonymous said…
thanks for this amazing post, it helps me a lot O(≧∇≦)OO(≧∇≦)O
And...Do you mind if I ask you a few things about Kakuriyo No Yadomeshi volume 11?
1. Are there any details about Odanna and Aoi wedding? (I'm looking forward to seeing Aoi in a uchikake)
2. Do Odanna and Aoi have children? (except Ai)
3. About Ginji's love. Does he still fell for Aoi or he not?
Icha said…
Hello Anon, thank you for your visit and comment! No problem for the questions, happy to answer:
1. I haven't read Vol 11, but from skimming the first pages (they are found on the Kadokawa official page, but in Japanese, as a teaser), the story goes straight into the post-wedding life. So, unfortunately, no Aoi in uchikake... :-(

2. I don't think so, at least at the end of Vol 11, there is no mention of that from the JP fan discussions. However, a very important mentor of Aoi's passed away in Vol 11, and that event has brought Aoi and Ōdanna even closer than ever...(due to life's impermanence, I suppose...)

3. My understanding from Vol 7 and 8 is that he still loves Aoi as a man loving a woman. Ginji has a conversation with Bro Ranmaru in Vol 8 (which includes Aoi, I bet), and I plan to translate that part. IDK how Ginji feels of Aoi in Vol 11, but at the end of Vol 8, before Aoi boarded the Bun-man airship with Ōgondōji-sama, it was quite clear in the novel how Ginji still loves Aoi... (and I do respect Ginji and honour his feelings to Aoi...).
Anonymous said…
can i ask about a pretty usless thing (i'm just too curious about it)
when Aoi said she loved Setsu, did she say 愛してます or あなたが好き?
sorry to bother you ;o;
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

no, it's not a bother at all! I understand that 好きcan mean just like, or love, depending on context, which makes it somewhat annoying.

case in the point; in vol 6 ch 9, Aoi said:

「私、大旦那様のこと、好きよ」

好きの意味が、恋愛としての好意かはまだわからない。

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2020/12/novel-vol-6-chapter-9-translation.html

However, in vol 10 ch 5, Aoi has realised that she indeed loves Ōdanna-sama, hence this is what she said:

「好きです。私を、あなたの花嫁にしてください」

She used 'suki' as well, but the context is the eros love in English, because she wants to marry Setsu.

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/10/novel-vol-10-ch-5-guiding-thoughts.html
Atris said…
Thank you for translate it! ^^

Hello, i'm Atris. Same with you, i'm from Indonesia, but live at Bandung. Nice to meet you!! ^^

Actually, i read it in Japanese version too, but still confused about it. So when i read the novel from Japanese version, i think to translate in Indonesian (only in my brain, lol). Then i searching about Odanna and Aoi (my ship!!) real story from novel and i found it! :D

I hope we can sharing about this novel and maybe i can help you for translating this, although i can't speak English very well.
Icha said…
Hello Atris,

Thanks a lot for your visit and comment. I'm very happy to discuss the novel with you here, or you can also email me at southernriver74 at gmail dot com. You can talk in Indonesian language with me there!

As for the translation, I think I can still handle the translation myself now, but thank you for the offer. Take care yeah!
Emz said…
I am truly spoiled and loving it!!! Thank you so so much for your time and dedication! Makes me even more excited to see how it will be put together in season 2 of the anime (whenever they get to it)!!!
Icha said…
Hi Emz!

Glad you found this blog! So sorry for the lack of updates these past few months, I've been having multiple deadlines! But I'm still monitoring this blog and itching to resume my translations again.

And yes, hope for S2 anime too!
Anonymous said…
Hola! Fue genial la traducción de los capítulos. Amo esta historia, quería consultarte si volverías a actualizar los capítulos 😢 Gracias por tu dedicación y esfuerzo.
Icha said…
Hello! I'm sorry I don't speak Spanish, so I will reply in English and you can use Google Translator to understand my reply...

I am still transcribing vol 7 ch 4. It's more than 60 pages long, so it does take time because I have other deadlines as well... but it's a very interesting chapter, hence I am working on it little by little. I don't want to put a timeframe, but I should be able to finish transcribing the Japanese scripts into my document this July, and then translating the document. Fingers crossed I can finish the translation in late July or early August.

Apologies once again and thank you very much for coming!
Anonymous said…
Hi, you’re pretty awesome. I can’t believe you take the time to write every person back, let alone still taking the time to translate. Are you a professional translator or writer in real life? You’re translations are very good. I wish we could do a giant go fund me. Earn tons of money and pay you for all you’ve done and allow you to take a deep dive into Kakuriyo. Know that you’re touching the lives of many people across the world. We may not all be the commenting type, but we’re out there feeling the love and energy you put into your translations. Thank you so much. ❤️
Icha said…
Thank you so much for your kind words! I like connecting with other Kakuriyo fans, hence I make time to answer every comment. Sorry for the late response, I was off the grid for a few days due to work.

I’m not a professional translator, my Japanese is still slightly below average, but Kakuriyo has indeed improved my Japanese. I don’t have licence from Kadokawa to translate, but my translations are free so that I don’t profit from them. To help Yuma Midori sensei, I don’t translate all chapters, but I do translate the highlights. By the same token, to help the author, I cannot accept donations... but I thank you for your kind thoughts indeed...

I guess the best way to help this Kakuriyo anime is by promoting it more on Twitter, Insta, FB etc, so that more non Japanese people know how awesome this work is (and that the anime covers only half the story so far). Hopefully they will make the second season soon if we make more good noise!
Icha said…
By the way, another thought. If there’s enough money to buy the English translation licence of the novel, that would be great. I think it’s too much for fans to undertake though, so I hope we can have any publisher interested in translating this beautiful work into English!
Char said…
Hello from Singapore!! A huge, huge thank you for all you've done for these amazing translations. Without you, we would literally NEVER be able to get the full story without picking up advanced Japanese ourselves. Your work is so well translated, and I'm sure you have filled the void in all of us Kakuriyo fans, just like Aoi's food have for the Ayakashis.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the chapters, but also understand that you have commitments to take care of. I'm just so grateful that Icha-san is still active! We appreciate you so much! <3
Icha said…
Hello Char! (Aznabel...?)

Thanks a lot for the very nice comment and visit! Truly appreciate it!

Yes, I’m still here… just quite busy with deadlines. However, i don’t need to work on this weekend, hence I intend to sit down with Vol 7 ch 4 and finish transcribing the chapter. Wish me luck!

Ah, and thank you so much for your lovely comment on my translations. TBH, I’m still at N4 Japanese, but the Kakuriyo translation processes have boosted my Japanese language skills indeed. For that, I am grateful...

(And ah,... Singapore... great food, lovely place, I do want to go back there for a visit...)
Char said…
Come to Singapore anytime!! :-)

Oh actually I do have one question I wanted to ask - can you summarise how Ginji came to love Aoi and what happened? I don't think it's covered in the translated chapters yet but I'd really love to know how it went... I love Odanna-sama but Ginji has been so kind and supportive, and a wonderful friend too. Would love to hear more about his feelings for Aoi!

Thanks so much in advance!
Icha said…
Hi again Char! So sorry for the late reply, this past week was a very busy week for me that I had to go off internet yesterday to rest...

But if you don't mind, since I do plan to go to Singapore in mid Dec this year, I'd love to meet you. Please email me at southernriver74 at gmail dot com in case an offline fan meeting is a possibility...(again if you don't mind).

Anyway, now to the question about Ginji. There is a conversation between Ginji and Ranmaru at the end of vol 5 (narrated by Ranmaru) where the latter point blank told Ginji to stop loving Aoi because it would only hurt Ginji. But that didn't give us hints of when Ginji started loving Aoi, right...

So I have two theories: First, Ginji started loving her since she came to Kakuriyo and saw how resilient she was. That would be early in the days of the Moonflower then.

Second theory is that, since Ginji has kept Aoi safe when she was still in childhood at the behest of Ōdanna-sama, Ginji would watch over Aoi as well as she grew up to be a young girl, and then a young woman. Kind of how Ōdanna-sama would, I believe, always watch over Aoi though Shirō was already there to watch over her... and that Ōdanna would grow to love Aoi as she grew into a young woman.

I think both theories are plausible, especially since Ginji also has an Utsushiyo driving licence, implying that he would visit our world every now and then.
Char said…
Hi Icha,

I've dropped you an email - would love to meet and thank you in person for your translations when you're here in Singapore!

Regarding Ginji, in the rest of the volumes were there no other details/ confirmation about his love for Aoi? So nobody else, including Aoi and Odanna-sama knew about it, besides Ranmaru who realised because he knew his brother too well?

Kind of gutted for Ginji if he never got the chance to get his feelings across regardless of the outcome, although I also completely understand that he's extremely loyal and respectful that way...
Icha said…
Hi Char,

Thanks a lot for the email, I've received it and will definitely reply soon!

Re Ginji, vol 7 Intermezzo 1 has Ginji narrating his love to Aoi... but that's not the clue you'd like to know, right? (I will translate that chapter after vol 7 ch 4, btw).

So, IIRC, in vol 10 ch 5, there is an allusion that Aoi may have learned of Ginji's love to her. The reason is because Aoi said this:

"The jail door opens, leaving Ōdanna-sama and I facing each other, with no obstacles between us. As if Ginji-san has given us his support."

I need to go back to Vol 10 chapters 1-4 to see if Ginji has actually confessed to Aoi (just so that he himself can let her go). There may be clues there. Just send me love that I can finish my deadlines this Friday so that I can dedicate my weekend for Kakuriyo... ^_^
Char said…
Yes, that line in Vol 10 Ch 5 made me feel like Aoi must have been somewhat aware - which also gives me hope that he had managed to express his feelings across!

Fingers crossed there are some confirmation in the earlier chapters... I will wait patiently!

Sending you my best for your Apparent Realm deadlines. I'm struggling with mine now so I totally understand! But this blog and rewatching the season again and finding new significance in their words and actions has been my respite :P
Icha said…
Yeah, I totally understand you, Char. No matter how busy I am, whenever I have time to get a hold on Kakuriyo again, I always feel this strange sense of peace.

Strange, isn't it. It's "just" a story. But it's so beautiful that it makes me smile, cry, and laugh as well. It makes me want to find my ibasho as well, my place to belong (I live in a town of which magic I can no longer feel, hence I am jealous of Aoi...).

I have several things to do today, but comes weekend, I will sit down to scour the earlier chapters of Vol 10 to see if we have any clues there about Ginji professing his love to Aoi...

until that news comes, take care and have a nice weekend!
Oh my god!!!!!! Thank you for this spoilers knowing about odanna really makes me very happy that i want to cry😍😍😍kakuriyo is my first anime which i really loved and especially odanna. (Yes I started watching anime in 2018 but recently i started reading manga and now light novels) Thank you so much for your translations and spoilers.
Icha said…
Hello the Shy Chartered-Accountant!

Thank you so very much for your presence and comment, truly appreciate it! I'm very glad that the translations and spoilers help you, particularly in enjoying your first anime further. I'm now transcribing vol 7 ch 5, and I'm down to about 5 A4 pages to transcribe now. Afterwards, translation process usually is quite fast (about 2 weeks due to my real world deadlines).

Thanks again!
Shivu said…
Hey there...
I just finished watching kakuriyo no yadomeshi anime and now i am truly obsssed i cannot get it over my mind and m so tensed that what would happen next and i was searching for the novel and found your blog so can you help to assist the right direction like from which volume i should start watching..would be great help:)

Thank you
Icha said…
Hello Shivu, thanks a lot for the visit and comment! To read post-anime, the best place to start is Volume 6. If you look at the top-most bars, you can see the volumes lining up there. Click "Vol 6 Chapters" link:

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/p/volume-6-list-of-chapters.html

And follow the links to the translations. Another, very hard working, fan translated Chs 1-8 (including Intermesso 3), while I translated Chs 9 and 10.

I have only translated Ch 1-2 of Volume 7, and the last chapter of Volume 8. However, I translated most of Volume 9 from the start (because it was loaded with Ōdanna-sama), and also the most important chapter of Volume 10. There is also a sneak peek of the aftermath of the very important event in Vol 10 here:

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/12/updates-and-recap-of-rest-of-volume-10.html

If you want general spoilers, the page you dropped your comment is the right place to go.

All the best!
Shivu said…
Thank you so much dear for your responce

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Volume 6 List of Chapters & Volume 1 Chapter 5 link