Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Ōdanna & Aoi, art by Laruha


This post contains the summary of Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi volumes 6-11 (Vol 11 is the Gaiden) per Amazon Japan. SPOILERS of course, so don't read it if you don’t want to know how the Kakuriyo stories continue. The summary does spill the bean of a very important aspect of Ōdanna and Aoi. However, the descriptions don’t spoil you that deep, because you still won’t know some mundane and important things, e.g. Ōdanna’s favourite food, his real name, and the reason for the events that take place in Vol 7-10. Oh, and you won't know whether Ōdanna would kiss Aoi or not, and if he would, when.

Beforehand though, I’d like to make a short observation about some Kakuriyo haters. Perhaps “hate” is too strong a word, but I cannot help using that word whenever I come across some blogs/websites that consistently shred Kakuriyo to pieces. I won’t name the blogs here, but if you google “Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi”, it’s likely you’ll find 2-3 blogs that constantly pick Kakuriyo to the bones. 

I understand why some people are not satisfied with Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi anime. And I’m not talking about Ginji fans not being happy that Aoi doesn't end up with Ginji, because no matter what, Ginji fans are Kakuriyo fans and I also love Ginji in his own rights... 

No… I’m talking about viewers who viewed Kakuriyo till the end, but still disliking it, yet… they also keep watching it. 

Why is that? Is that because Kakuriyo anime left many unanswered questions? IF that is the reason, well, just so that you know, the anime thus far only covers Volumes 1-5. 

Or… those people don’t like the series but they just keep watching it to kill time? That’s a bit sad… 

Granted, I don’t really like some series or movies (“Happy Marriage” and “My Only Love Song” come to mind), but I still like some of its aspects, hence me watching them till the end. So when I wrote my reviews of those dramas/movies, I try to be fair: there are things I like, and there are things I dislike. At the same time, there are some series that I have not been able to finish even though the original premise is interesting. To me, the example is “Kamisama Hajimemashita”, an anime and manga touted to be of a similar premise to Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi. However, to me, one of the differences between Kamisama and Kakuriyo is that the former jumps too soon into the chemistry between Momozono Nanami and Tomoe the kitsune spirit, whereas the latter takes time to make Aoi liking, and then loving Ōdanna (oops, did I spill the beans just now?...). 

Also, there are character and story developments in Kakuriyo which I find lacking in Kamisama. I find the kiss in Ep 1 of Kamisama Hajimemashita as being too soon (though I understand why it happened). I am more forgiving of the kiss in Ep 5, but then I wonder whether that kiss was also done with the previous shrine caretaker... 

(note 23 Dec'20: I've watched until Ep 10 of Kamisama, and now I understand Tomoe's background story better. The anime still doesn't hook me like Kakuriyo did/does, but at least it is fun to watch)

Anyway. Perhaps it all comes down to the target demography. Kamisama seems to be written as a shōjo manga, whereas Kakuriyo is written as a josei novel (targeting young woman and above), thus my sensibilities appreciate the subtleness of Kakuriyo. Yes, that includes the subtleness of Ōdanna’s love to Aoi, which is ever constant (if not getting deeper as every episode finishes). Whereas as a shōjo manga, Kamisama Hajimemashita caters to the demography of young girls with their own ideas of what a romance is. And there's nothing wrong with that notion, for I used to subscribe to it as well. It's a young love notion, and that is fine. But the current me is much more attracted to the gentle love that Kakuriyo characters have, and that is fine too...

See, to me, Ōdanna’s encouragement to Aoi when Moonflower wasn’t doing well… and his smile as he saw Aoi’s business prosper after a difficult start… is romance. 





To me, Ōdanna arriving in the Southern Land undercover as a fish peddler for Aoi’s sake is love. To me, Ōdanna’s action towards Aoi’s personal growth at the end of Vol 10 is gentleness, love and romance. That is different from the possessive romance displayed by Tomoe to Nanami in as early as Ep 3, and no, I didn’t forget Ōdanna’s rash behaviour of kidnapping Aoi for marriage in Ep 1… but in the same episode, Ōdanna didn’t force her to marry him. 

But… all my views are a factor of my age and growth. I love Kakuriyo while I just think Kamisama is a funny entertainment… but it can be because of my age and my life experience. That doesn’t make Kamisama a bad anime/manga. It’s just not my cup of tea.

(and again, after understanding Tomoe's background story, I can understand him better. Kamisama is still a shojo anime though, so it's more suited for that demography, IMO)

This is what is lacking in several blogs/websites that supremely dislike Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi. They ignore the demography of Kakuriyo readers. They ignore that perhaps… they don’t like Kakuriyo because it’s just not their cup of tea. It doesn’t mean that Kakuriyo is a bad story. 

These people also ignore growth and intentions. For instance, before Aoi was kidnapped by the Orio-ya team (well, technically she was spell-bound by Ōgondōji and then Ranmaru whisked her onboard of the Seiran-maru, Orio-ya's main airship), the whole Tenjin-ya team actually had an outing at the onsen. Ōdanna specifically asked Aoi to organise the outing impromptu. Some people questioned why this outing was important. However, I bet Ōdanna actually organised the outing as a farewell (despite temporary) party for Ginji. Ōdanna knew Ginji had to leave for the Southern Land soon, so it was his kind gesture for his old mate. Remember, Ōdanna was not very surprised when Seiran-maru arrived. Ōdanna may have not expected that Ranmaru would personally come to get Ginji. It was unlikely that Ōdanna knew that Ranmaru would come because Hatori would have told Ōdanna otherwise. Judging from Hatori's reaction upon seeing his company airship arriving, I don't think Hatori or Tokihiko knew about the personal pick up. Nevertheless, Ōdanna knew Ginji was leaving soon, hence him requesting that Aoi organise the outing. That is good intention on Ōdanna's part. As for growth, Ōdanna asking Aoi to prepare such an outing (in addition to asking her to take care of Tenjin-ya when he was on a business trip to Utsushiyo) signals the growing trust he had on Aoi.

But these little nuggets may be lost if people already decided they dislike Kakuriyo for whatever reasons.

And what is most disturbing is that one of critics actually made fun of Aoi’s trauma in the past, as if her fear of thunder and her constant remembrance of the kind ayakashi (who saved her from hunger and death) are just for the sake of drama. These bloggers… do they not have traumatic episodes in their childhood? Good on them if they don’t. But that doesn’t give them rights to laugh at people’s traumatic childhood, and that includes Aoi’s childhood, though she is a fictional character. 

If you dislike Kakuriyo, by all means, don’t change your opinion. You're entitled to it. However, please know that there are people who love this anime because of its warm-hearted messages (to me, it’s similar to the warm-heartedness of Natsume’s Book of Friends, though there’s no romance in Natsume – not that I complained about it). There are people who laughed and cried because of this anime, people who went to bed smiling happily because of this anime. Don’t mock them for liking this anime, although you don’t understand their happiness.


Anyway, enough of that. Now onto the Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi summary translations of Volumes 6-11.  

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS


Volume 6 (click here for the list of chapters & translations)



Short spoilers: 

Will a pumpkin dish connect the two? During the harvest season, Aoi and Ōdanna were getting closer fast… or aren't they?! 

After getting rid of the curse of the Southern Land, waiting for the triumphant return of Aoi is the warm and very busy days of Tenjin-ya! While thinking of a new line of souvenirs and struggling to prepare for the Autumn Festival, Aoi receives an  invitation from Ōdanna for a fruit picking… or is it actually a date?!


Description: 

Autumn is coming to the well-established Tenjin-ya Inn in Kakuriyo (the Netherworld) where the spirits live. Aoi, who was kidnapped by the rival inn Orio-ya, cleared the curse of the Southern Land after completing a dish with much difficulty. Waiting for her triumphant return is the warm and very busy days with her friends at Tenjin-ya. While thinking of a new line of souvenirs and move forward with the preparation for the Autumn Festival, the Moonflower Restaurant will be reopened. At such a time, Aoi received an invitation from Ōdanna for an orchard date. Although it’s supposed to be a normal invitation, after going through the Orio-ya case, Aoi realises that she wants to know more about Ōdanna... 


Volume 7



Short spoilers: 

Ōdanna went missing en-route the Kakuriyo capital Yōto. Shaken by this greatest crisis in Tenjin-ya’s history, Aoi receives a secret mission from the Accounting Chief Byakuya. And it is achieved by establishing a Moonflower food stall and doing the business onboard of an Yōto-bound airship…?!


Description: 

Aoi manages a diner at Tenjin-ya, a well-established inn operated by the spirits. After the Autumn Festival ended with thriving sales, Aoi saw Ōdanna off to the Kakuriyo capital of Yōto. Later at home, in front of Aoi and friends who were waiting for Ōdanna’s return, the large ayakashi Raijū, who held a grudge against Tenjin-ya, appeared. Raijū had a sinister announcement to make: that the Oni King Ōdanna is never to return and Raijū is the new Great Master. The biggest crisis in the entirety of Tenjin-ya’s history!  Ginji and all employees are united and make a move. And then, in order to find Ōdanna, Aoi entertains guests with her food stall onboard of the Yōto-bound touring air ship.


Volume 8



Short spoilers: 

The entrusted mission is the revival of the Snow Country?! Aoi’s hospitality that was cultivated in Tenjin-ya is being tested!

Byakuya has narrated Aoi the story of Ōdanna’s past. With such a story in her heart, Aoi escaped the capital Yōto towards the heart of the Northern Land governed by another Hachiyō. Waiting for Aoi in the beautiful yet secluded Snow Country is delicious, unknown local specialties and a reunion with a person she misses!

Description: 

Aoi manages a diner at Tenjin-ya, a well-established inn operated by the spirits. While visiting Yōto in search of the missing Ōdanna, she learns about Ōdanna’s past and the underlying cuisine that defines the Kakuriyo tradition. What can she do for her cooking, then? Considering all these, Aoi went to the Northern Land to request their cooperation in recovering Ōdanna. Waiting for her in the beautiful yet secluded Snow Country is delicious, unknown local specialties and a reunion with a person she misses! And then, in return for a cooperation with Tenjin-ya, Aoi is asked to produce a tourism specialty for the revival of the Snow Country?!


Volume 9



Short spoilers: 

“I’ll tell you the truth one by one in exchange for a bento box”. And then, what does Aoi uncover?

Guided by Ōgondōji, Aoi arrived at the Land of the Cultural Gate (Bun-Mon*). At that place was Ōdanna, looking the same as always. The couple spent a brief yet quiet time together before the Hachiyō dinner meeting. There, Ōdanna made one proposition to Aoi. 

Description: 

Aoi wandered in Kakuriyo from one place to another in search of Tenjin-ya’s Ōdanna.  Guided by Ōgondōji, Aoi arrived at the Cultural Gate of the North-western Land and was finally reunited with Ōdanna. Despite having become a fugitive, Ōdanna looked the same as always. The two of them spent brief yet calm days** together. Nevertheless, since Aoi wanted to know the reason behind Ōdanna’s disappearance, his relationship with Grandpa Shirō and the real intention of the ayakashi who once saved her from hunger, Ōdanna made Aoi a proposition: “I’ll tell you the truth one by one in exchange for a bento box”. Thus, Aoi found the answer to one question.

(Note 

*: I translate 日々 ‘hibi’ in this sentence as “days”. I figure, since Ōdanna suggested an answer for a boxed meal, it could mean that Aoi would cook Ōdanna three boxed meals to get three answers. It makes sense to assume that Aoi and Ōdanna spend at least one full day together to cover Aoi’s three questions. However, since the ‘day’ is written as 日々 I assume that they would spend at least two days together. Update 15 Feb 2021: After a sneak peek into Vol 9, I can confirm that Aoi and Ōdanna spent at least two days in Bunmon with Aoi feeding Ōdanna delicious bento meals every day. 

**: I translate Bun-Mon 文門 as "Cultural Gate" due to the kanji for Bun, which can be translated into "culture". However, I also like the translation from Fan Translator By Choice; she translated Bun Mon as "Scholarly Gate". Check her Vol 6 translation pls, it's so fun to read!)


Volume 10



Short spoilers: 

“This evening, I will marry into the ayakashi inn.” The conclusion to Aoi’s narrative*. 

The Hachiyō dinner meeting has finally begun. Having faced the truth about Ōdanna and her own feelings, Aoi ran about the capital Yōto to acquire an ally to rescue Ōdanna. Once there, she turned to Zakuro, a Hachiyō from the Great Lake Skewer Confectionery**, who once dismissed Aoi’s cooking. 

Description: 

In exchange for her homemade bentō, Aoi discovered the truth about Ōdanna, which heretofore had been kept a secret. Together with her Tenjin-ya friends, Aoi head for the decisive battleground of Yōto to personally rescue the captured Ōdanna. The Hachiyō dinner meeting has finally begun. Raijū’s plot to propose to seal Ōdanna underground is accepted. Friends are running around Yōto to find an ally to overturn the vote. Also, Aoi challenges Zakuro, the Hachiyō from the Great Lake Skewer Confectionery (who once dissed her cooking) to a sweets making competition… so that she can once again deliver the “first bentō***” to Ōdanna and also to declare her own feelings to him. 


Translation note:

*I don’t know how to translate 細腕繁盛記, but it seems like an ‘annal’ or a narrative, hence I translated it as ‘narrative’

** This “Great Lake Skewer Confectionery” is actually written as 大湖串製菓. The yomikata is "daiko kushi seika" --  大 is “great” or “big”, 湖 is “lake”, 串 is “skewer” (the way dango and satay are put into skewers) and 製菓 is “confectionery”. This person dissed Aoi’s cooking, s/he might be a cook as well, thus the association with a confectionery should be correct. 

***I don’t know what to make of “hajimari no bentō” (or the “first bentō”) without understanding the context. I originally translated it to “bentō of the beginning”, but I wondered if I interpreted the meaning too poetically. My guess is that hajimari no bentō refers to the first bentō that Aoi gave Ōdanna. Perhaps she wants to give him another “first bentō”, but this time as a wife to a husband.


Other note:

If you want to know more about Ōdanna & Aoi's engagement, click this link and scroll down to the last spoilers.


Volume 11 (Gaiden)

Interesting to see that Ginji is now wearing the golden tassels
that Ōdanna used to wear


The activities of Aoi and her Tenjin-ya friends who live in the Hidden World of Kakuriyo. It’s the story of the revolving seasons in 12 months. 

A little time has passed after the turbulent days in Kakuriyo have been overcome. Aoi, who has married Tenjin-ya’s Ōdanna, has become the apprentice of the Great Proprietess and is spending every day playing an active part at the Inn. Many things happen, such as Aoi searching for a treasure her grandpa once hid while she kept working, Chibi the palm kappa embarking on a trip, a collaboration with the rival inn Orio-ya and Ōdanna went on a business trip to our world Utsushiyo. The nonchalant days flow as always with just a little change. And then… the cherry blossom season arrives once again. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
cant wait for the transalation of volume 11
Icha said…
Hahaha, thanks! It will be a good while before I can get there, perhaps end of 2023 if my speed is constant (and that’s me being optimistic). However, I’ll translate the chapter list next week so that people know what to expect of that volume. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Anonymous said…
thankyou so much for your hard work. please dont leave this work.
Icha said…
Thank you for reading and commenting, Anon!

I will try to keep my pace steady. I don't want to be burned out, but I also am very curious with this novel, hence I hope I can sustain my pace. I think a steady pace is better for me, so I keep my interests (and others' interests too) aflame without burning myself out.

I'm aiming to finish Vol 9 Ch 1 in two weeks' time to give myself some space, and also because it's a rather long chapter.

Thanks again!
Anonymous said…
am excited to read vol 9 chap 1.. the title implies that it will be more of Aoi and Setsu my love.. wahahaha i think ived also fallen in love with Odanna-Sama.. hahaha
Icha said…
Thank you Anon! I've started translating Vo 9 Ch 1, and yes, even the first few pages already made my heart beat like crazy... I really have to stop last nite from translating late into the night cos I have real world deadlines and meetings today... but it's THAT exciting that I wish I have no deadlines and it's a holiday now that I can just work the whole day on that translation. Hahaha!

Well, wish me all the best so I can finish my other deadlines smoothly and I can translate Vol 9 Ch 1 quite quickly!

('Setsu' is now a name that rolls beautifully in my tongue...)
peridott said…
Hi !!! THANK GOD YOU EXIST!!!❤️ Just newly subscribed. First, sending you love and hugs for what you do for us here. Thank you so much for compiling, translating, and all the hard work! I am new. I just finished the anime today and my heart is restless. It was such a fluffy, soft, happy ending there but I’m sad it was the last ep. ����I paused watching this last month because I was self-preserving and I was right, the ending just leaves you wanting for more. I didn’t expect that I’m gonna LOVE this story sooo much. ��The manga has not continued the events too. It hurts I can’t read /speak japanese.

No wonder the anime had a different feel and that made me love it more. It’s josei and I may have overlooked reading the genre tags of the anime. Thank you for pointing that out! I have so many questions. I haven’t read the translations yet because I have no self-control and I may neglect my other duties and sleep because of it. But I have soo many questions if it’s okay. I only clicked the first of your detailed spoilers.

-Is there any news of Season 2 anime adapting the rest of the volumes? The anime was released in 2018. Or is this the kind where it’s only animated up to a certain point to help the sales of the novels and manga? What can we do to have Season 2?

-Will it be later explained why Ginji had to be the one to continue visiting young Aoi? I read the extended trans. of that scene from the link you gave and wondered why that other ayakashi only appeared during the first time. I think that other one couldve appeared before her too.

-Also about Aoi’s grandpa, I get he’s a charismatic human and he’s popular in Kakuriyo but Im not sold as to why he’s that popular. Is there something more about him? Like powers? Is it a spoiler?

-Is Ginji’s arc done? (Beautiful btw) I got that impression from the anime. And based from the volume summaries, it’s Odanna’s turn. I am so happy that the story had so much to tell after Ep 26.

I’m sorry my comment is too long. ��I am just overwhelmed. This is my first time reading LN -sources of anime I finish. Again, thank you so much and please don’t get tired of this.
Icha said…
Hi Peridott, I love your name! Peridot is one of my favourite crystals!

Not a problem at all with long comments, I love reading and replying to them. So, keep them coming, and thank you for reading!

Now, to answer your questions:
1. No news yet of Season 2 anime, but S1 (April - Sept 2018) was released when the novels were not finished yet either (only until Vol 8, which was released in April 2018). Perhaps you can write to either Gonzo or Shojo Beat of Viz Media. I don't have their emails, but they can be found online I bet.

2. When you eventually read Vol 9 Prologue (I titled it as "The Kind Ayakashi"), you will see why Ginji was the one who continued to visit Aoi. Suffice to say that the other ayakashi had to prepare the final meal to Aoi in order to help her with a big thing. The answer is in "The Kind Ayakashi".

3. As you read more into the novel, you'll see why he's so popular (or also disliked, take your pick). Shiro was very powerful and this power of his was not always used wisely. That's why he's notorious.

4. Yes, Ginji's arc is done, but he still remains Aoi's best friend (if not one of her best friends). You're also right that Vol 6-10 are focused on Ōdanna.

Do read the translations that the other fans and I have made (I translate from Vol 6 Ch 9 onwards, and also Vol 5 Intermission 2). It will clear up many things. I suggest you start from Vol 5 novel, some of the chapters have been translated and you can find it in this blog.

Let me know what you think, and thanks again for the visit(s)!

Gem said…
I tried watching Kamisama Kiss because this was always suggested related to Kakuriyo B&B but couldn't get past episode 2. The animation was better than Kakuriyo but, like you, not my cup of tea anymore. So I agree with your reflection on preference and audience. I appreciate the writer even more for producing this kind of story that has a Spirited Away feel that suits a certain age/maturity group. To me, the love that Odanna-sama has for Aoi was born out of his loyalty and commitment. I feel the same for Aoi. They were not attracted to each other physically or emotionally at first but slowly, as they get to know each other better through mundane and difficult circumstances, their attachment grows. And this kind of love is the marriageable kind. Odanna-sama is Odanna-sama even without Aoi. Aoi can always go back to Utsushiyo if she wanted. But they're responsible, committed, and big-hearted enough to want to make it work. Though Odanna-sama always teases Aoi as his bride/wife, he wasn't acting desperate but was always selfless and giving whether his love interest knows it or not (maybe because he's hundreds of years old? haha). It doesn't hurt that he is also a cutie and gorgeous. They truly deserve each other after all they've been through in the past and coming out better people even before they got together. It's just refreshing to see their story unfold, lots of depth and far from immature and toxic. To those who found them boring or lacking, I'd say "too bad, you're missing out" lol
Icha said…
Hi again Gem!

Yes, I totally agree with how mature Ōdanna’s love to Aoi is, and that her love to him is of the same quality as well. Agree that it’s the marrying kind of love! They are still themselves without the other, but they are better when they are together, which is so great and sweet...

Btw, I eventually find Kamisama funny, but I haven’t resumed my watching. Definitely a shojo anime... (I also actually prefer Kakuriyo’s animation than Kamisama, particularly during serious scenes or landscape/cityscape scenes, though there are scenes in Kakuriyo that should’ve drawn better; many Ōdanna scenes were drawn as if he was a kid! But it’s just me...)

“To those who found them boring or lacking, I'd say "too bad, you're missing out" lol”

Haha, true! Or yeah, perhaps it’s because it’s just not their cup of tea, or perhaps they’re not there yet with this type of love...
Anonymous said…
I just finished reading everything you've written about the series and I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU! I love this anime and was so sad when I realized the light novels haven't been written in English but thanks to you my dreams have been answered and I can still enjoy this story!

Thank you!
Icha said…
Thank you very much Anon, for visiting, reading and commenting! It's a pure delight to be able to give a morsel of happiness to my readers, particularly in these difficult times!

Yes, there are so many things still uncovered in this story. Even for me, when I translate it, I often find surprising info that I never thought of before (such as Ōdanna's origin and the history of that origin, as well as the reason why Aoi's mother left her). Very very interesting story indeed!

Thanks again for commenting! I understand many of us are busy, hence I'm very happy every time I receive any comment!

Luna said…
Hi! Where cain I read from volumens 6 to 11?
Icha said…
Hi Luna,

If you meant where you can read volumes 6-11 in English, there is no official translation yet. On top of this blog, there are tabs where you can see links to read chapters that have been fan-translated. I hope the novel will be officially translated into English one day.
Anonymous said…
Hi. I just found out your blog from the comment on youtube. I'm so glad i found your blog❤❤❤. Thank you for your hard work, i hope you won't give up translating this amazing story. I watched Kakuriyo anime last year and instantly fall in love with the story. Some people dislike this story bcs they said kakuriyo lacks in terms of romance. I dont think so bcs I love how odanna and aoi's love growing slowly and i think its more realistic. Kakuriyo is now my no 1 anime and it holds a special place in my heart. I couldnt describe how i really love the plot, the characters. Aoi is such a strong main character and I love that. Also I love odanna of course. He is such a great guy.

sorry for my broken English :D. Hope you have a great day! 🌸
Icha said…
Hi Anon, glad you were able to find this blog! Which YouTube video did you find the comment from? I dropped links at several YT videos, so I'd like to keep a track on them.

"Thank you for your hard work, i hope you won't give up translating this amazing story." -- haha, not to worry about it! I'm now itching to translate a chapter, but I've been flooded with deadlines that it's hard to find time... But hopefully this weekend I can upload something.

"Some people dislike this story bcs they said kakuriyo lacks in terms of romance." -- well, duh, the anime is just HALF of the whole novel, hence the romance isn't that upfront.

"I dont think so bcs I love how odanna and aoi's love growing slowly and i think its more realistic." -- this is also why I love it so much. It's much more realistic. I mean, what normal girl would fall in love directly with an oni who kidnapped her? Yes, Odanna is gorgeous, but he didn't exactly win her heart the "first" time they met in Ep 1... (but now we know how long he'd known her actually... STILL, Aoi was justified to guard herself and kudos to her for not wanting to get married just to free herself from the "debt"...)

thanks again for the comment, you made my day!
Teena said…
Hi i just saw your blog contents of this kakuriyo no yadomeshi anime. Pardon me, im still new with this anime. May i know if this is the real continue part of the anime series from season 1? I do eager to know about whats happening next and many things still remain mystery in season 1, so i bet by reading this manga translation from yours might be soooo amazing and helpful. Im sorry if this question bothering yiu coz im still new into this manga thing
Icha said…
Hi Teena,

I'm glad you found me and thank you for your comment. No worries at all about questions, ask me anything and I'm happy to answer as much as I know!

"May i know if this is the real continue part of the anime series from season 1?"

It's the other way around. The anime is the one that follows the novel, not the other way around.

See, what I've been translating is actually the novel. The anime that you are watching (or just finished watching?) is based on the novel "Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi". That novel was then made into anime, but only from Volumes 1 to 5 (the novel is in 11 volumes). The rest of the volumes have not been made into anime yet.

About the manga, it's also sourced from the novel, instead of from the anime. Hence, the primary source of both anime and manga is the novel.

I have been translating from the end of Volume 6 because most of Vol 6 have been translated by an amazing fan-translator.

If Gonzo is going to make Season 2 of the anime, if they are faithful to the novel, the story will pretty much follow the novel. I hope it's clear enough? Feel free to clarify anything if it's not clear.
Misa said…
Hello. Thank you so much for your translations and blogs, you are the best.
I'd really like to ask you, what does the storyline even say about Ginji? Can you tell me some interesting facts about him from the novella, I'd really like to know everything, because I really love this character!
Icha said…
Hello Misa,

Thank you so much for your visit and comment!

The Ginji storyline is pretty much in the first half of the novel (particularly around Vol 3-5). However, while Aoi went to Yōto by herself in the first part of Vol 7, she would later return to Tenjin-ya, and be reunited with Ginji and Byakuya to make a strategy on how to free Ōdanna. Hence, Ginji will feature again at the latter part of vol 7 (there is an intermission chapter with his viewpoint in Vol 7, actually).

Then Ginji will accompany Aoi to the North etc in Vol 8 and we will even have an intermission chapter in Vol 8 where Ginji is talking to Ranmaru. At the end of Vol 8, before Aoi was taken to Bunmon by Ōgondōji-sama, she was actually in a setting with Ginji, and she did say goodbye to Ginji before she boarded the airship to Bunmon.

Ginji will return in Vol 10 when the whole Tenjin-ya tries to rescue Ōdanna-sama. I think Ginji is also in the last chapter of Vol 9 ("Ōdanna's favourite food") but so far because of my time constraints, I have no plan to translate that chapter.

I think in Vol 11 (Gaiden), Ginji will either get a promotion or will play a more active role in the management of Tenjin-ya. This is my opinion alone because he's depicted as wearing the gold tassels that Ōdanna-sama usually wore, but I think it's quite likely to be true. Aoi also said in Vol 11 how much Ginji is an important person to her, how happy she is that he is part of her life.
Misa said…
Thank you very much for your response. By the way, I also translate, only from Japanese to Russian. But unfortunately I haven't gotten to the part about Ginji's past yet. Is it even there? If you've translated anything related to it, can you tell me about it?
If it's possible, I could find your Twitter or other social networks, because I think it's very interesting to talk about a little-known fandom with people from different countries who share our favorite characters and their stories :)
Icha said…
Hi Misa,

Oh, amazing, you're translating from JP to Russian!

"But unfortunately I haven't gotten to the part about Ginji's past yet. Is it even there?"

I'm not sure what you meant here, actually... The anime (vol 1-5 of the novel) has done Ginji's past extensively, and so far I know, vol 6-10 no longer talk about Ginji's past. There's a bit about his monologue (vol 7) and his conversation with Ranmaru (vol 8), but his past has been dealt with in vols 4-5 (and perhaps even from volume 3).

By the way, I'm not going to translate volumes 1-5 because they have been covered by the anime.... Well, I am going to translate a bit of vol 4 ch 9 when Ōdanna and Aoi visited the Dragon Palace (anime ep 20), but just a bit.

At any rate, my Twitter is @Gothamazon, might see you there!
Kendra said…
Hi found your blog after finishing the anime and trying to find answers to my questions. 1) Is there an explanation to why Odanna was mean to Aoi in episode 1 after she arrives? Was it all an act??
2) Based on the anime it seemed to me that Ginji has feelings for Aoi. He gave me the impression that he's also in love with her. Is that true or am I wrong??

3) I know you don't want to give us spoilers to major revelations of Odanna's history, Aoi's grandpa etc but where can I read it? Is it in the chapters you're translating or do you have a summary of those spoilers if I only want to read spoilers?
Kendra said…
I also forgot to ask my last questions. Is volume 11 the last novel in the series? Or will there be more?
Icha said…
Hi Kendra, thanks a lot for your comments!

1. It was just an act. My take is that Ōdanna is an oni after all, hence he didn't really know how to handle a human girl. I haven't truly found a passage that explained it; I originally thought it might be in Volume 9 Chapters 3-5... but it could also be scattered in the early volumes of the novel, but I haven't read them.

There is one explanation though about him being mean to Aoi when the Tengu had a fight in Tenjin-ya, and that was because Aoi could get killed if she got caught in the ayakashi fight in Episode 2. Aoi and Ōdanna practically had a shouting match in the manga (I think manga Book 2) about it where he explained to her why he was being mean.

I think Matsuba-sama's rebuking Ōdanna made the oni realise that his approach to Aoi had been wrong, hence he stopped pretending to be a mean oni after that episode. A translation of Vol 1 Ch 5 by Fan Translator By Choice also implied it here:

https://fantranslatorbychoice.tumblr.com/post/622930572490276864/kakuriyo-no-yadomeshi-vol-1-chapter-5

2. You got it right. Ginji loves Aoi, and Ranmaru observed that too. The translation is here:

https://cherrylining.tumblr.com/post/625625512558084096/kakuriyo-light-novel-volume-5-finale?is_related_post=1

Ginji's musing in Volumes 6 and 7 explained it too. Volume 8 will also have Ginji and Ranmaru conversation (which will include Aoi)

3. Click here for the spoilers of Ōdanna's history:
https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2020/12/kakuriyo-novel-volumes-7-11-heavy.html

but if you want to know more, you can check Volume 8 Epilogue and Volume 9 Prologue as well (see the bars at the top of my blog).


And... Vol 11 is indeed the last novel of the series. It has concluded but the manga is still in the making. We have Book 7 manga in JP, but it is not yet translated into ENG.

Thanks again...
CLAIRE said…
Hi

I can't seems to find Volume 7 chapter 3. May I know whether is it still translating?
Icha said…
Hello,

Thank you for the question. You can find my translations of vol 7 here:
https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/p/volume-7-list-of-chapters.html

I didn't have time to translate vol 7 ch 3 (partly because it's too long and I don't have enough time), but I'll pick up ch 4 in the next few months. I'm very busy with teaching and deadlines these days though, hence it might be a good few months before I can resume on ch 4.

For now, my focus is to answer questions about the reasons behind Ōdanna-Aoi dynamics, hence my sporadic (but hopefully strategic) translations. Pls read this post for the reasons behind it.

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/02/my-immediate-plan-for-translations.html

I hope you're sticking around, though. Thanks again!
Sky said…
Wait does english translation exist? I always wanted to read all of these novels but i couldnt find the translation anywhere..
Icha said…
Hi Nur,

Thank you for your visit. There is no official English translation for the novel, hence I’m translating or summarising chapters post anime, particularly from Vol 6 Ch 9 (because Vol 6 Ch 1-8 have been translated by another faithful fan translator, the Fan Translation By Choice). Hope you enjoy reading them!
Aya said…
Hi! I came here after watching the anime so I have a small question: do the novels touch upon Aoi's horrible mom and why she abandoned her to starve to near death when Aoi was still a kid? Does Aoi ever meet her again at some point?
Icha said…
Hi Aya, thank you for your visit and question. Please read this for the answer about Aoi’s mother:

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/02/novel-vol-9-prologue-kind-ayakashi.html

As far as I read, I haven’t found any hints that Aoi will meet her again, but it would be a good story I’m sure...
Jane said…
Lol I guess I need to defend Kamisama kiss a bit. But I'm not going to trash Kakuriyo either. :D They are a bit similar in the topic, yet the main characters are very different. You're right, either one can be just not one's cup of tea and that's okay.

The first anime out of these two that I watched was Kamisama. Even though I'm not of the target audience age, I still found the story extremely entertaining. The anime also made me pick up the manga. Yes, the love starts immature and it's based on the looks a lot. Tomoe behaves like a middle (or even an elementary lol) school student who attracts attention of a girl that he likes with teasing. Nanami is too reckless and irrational at times. But hey, I guess that is still fine since we're dealing with a 15 y.o. girl (very kind, but probably not the brightest one) and an ayakashi who doesn't understand what's going on with him. There is a very good character development though, and I'm glad that the manga ended on a very conclusive note.

After finishing Kamisama, I was desperately looking for other supernatural romance anime with a happy ending (let me know if anyone has any good suggestions! :D), and someone recommended watching Kakuriyo. Right from the very start I could feel similar vibes, but the characters and the story were definitely more mature. Actually, after getting used to Tomoe's numerous sarcastic comments, I didn't think that Odanna was an @$$ even in the first two episodes. Yes, he abducted Aoi and he made a couple of unsettling statements and he was somewhat rude, but that was it. Other than that he was extremely decent! He didn't force Aoi to marry him. Overall, after the first ~13 episodes or so it's clear as a day that he is a great husband material, I don't understand why it took Aoi so much time to see it lol. Being more mature, you're supposed to love one's personality more than the looks, although Odanna definitely has both. :) My only disappointment is how the anime ended. It really needs the second season to tie everything up nicely. Also, this is a more mature story, so I expected the main characters to kiss at least once (for real, not on the forehead!!!). Ideally, I would want to see at least the hints of something beyond just a kiss, but I guess I may be asking for too much. T_T I understand that Odanna-sama is a true gentleman and he wouldn't do anything unwelcome without Aio's consent, but still!!! I really hope I can see at least one real kiss by the end of Vol 11! :D This is josei after all, I hardly believe that you can satisfy 20+ y.o. women with a forehead kiss! Lol sorry for my rant, I just need to share this with someone. :D I always feel dissatisfied how the majority of anime drops any kind of relationship development beyond a confession and a kiss (and we're lucky if we even get that)
Icha said…
Hi again Jane!

Haha, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion!

I did try to watch Kamisama more until mid of second season I think... but it seems it's just too much of a shojo for me. And it's totally fine... because Kakuriyo is also not for everyone's cup of tea (nor Naruto, nor Gintama, nor etc...). I'm actually born in 1974, so you can see how old I am actually, thus perhaps the reason I like Kamisama, but only to certain extend. It's certainly funny though and I do start to appreciate Tomoe more...

(but again, I would be the oldest Kakuriyo and Kamisama watcher here perhaps and that influences my taste for a story...)

"Actually, after getting used to Tomoe's numerous sarcastic comments, I didn't think that Odanna was an @$$ even in the first two episodes. Yes, he abducted Aoi and he made a couple of unsettling statements and he was somewhat rude, but that was it. "

Hahaha! I was actually super annoyed with Ōdanna in the first two anime episodes. However, I forgave him later, particularly when he turned out to be so sweet and gentle... And when I learned of his background story, what's left of my annoyance was just me wondering why he had to act like that to Aoi in the first two episodes...

As for the forehead kiss, I suppose, that's where people can be different and that's totally, totally okay too... I like it that Ōdanna showed restrain... because at that time, he wasn't sure if Aoi liked him, and Aoi wasn't even sure of her feelings to him.

But anyway, with vol 10 Ch 5, I hope you get your curiosity fixed! Ah, vol 6 ch 9 also has Ōdanna-sama changing the not-kiss... to be a better one... but vol 10 ch 5 definitely tops it!

Thanks again for your thoughts, Jane, I truly appreciate it!
Jane said…
Hi Icha, thank you so much for your reply as well! Since none of my close friends like anime, I don't have anyone to discuss my impressions with, so I'm enjoying our conversation a lot, it feels like a mini book club meeting :)

"I'm actually born in 1974, so you can see how old I am actually, thus perhaps the reason I like Kamisama, but only to certain extend."

I'm 31, but I understand what you mean. I had a similar experience with Maid-sama. Everyone was raving about it, but to me it was just okay, I wouldn't want to rewatch it. Maybe, my original expectations were very different from what the anime actually was. I knew it was comedy, but not as exaggerated as it turned out to be.

"Hahaha! I was actually super annoyed with Ōdanna in the first two anime episodes. However, I forgave him later, particularly when he turned out to be so sweet and gentle... And when I learned of his background story, what's left of my annoyance was just me wondering why he had to act like that to Aoi in the first two episodes..."

I had this impression that the anime was trying to make me feel angry with Odanna in those episodes, but somehow I just... couldn't. Am I too forgiving? :D Generally, being rejected (especially in front of others), even if you don't (yet) love the person who is rejecting you, is a very unpleasant experience. If I were in Odanna's place, I would be rude too, and I would definitely be rude for more than a day. I've been guilty of being too sarcastic and rude on a couple of occasions when I was offended or embarrassed, so I can relate. Also, Odanna, being an ayakashi, clearly remembered Aoi's request to marry her, so maybe at first he didn't expect that she had forgotten everything. He did so much for Aoi, and although he didn't want her to know about it and he didn't want to be "loved" out of pity or indebtedness, I believe he would at least want to be with Aoi on good terms in the worst-case scenario, so maybe that's why the rejection was extra painful, and thus he reacted the way he did. But I also understand Aoi. She had forgotten everything, so agreeing to a sudden marriage with a stranger that she didn't know wasn't right either. Of course, she rejected him. But being rude in a certain situation does not imply a bad personality overall, especially if it was an isolated case. In the end, I guess, what I'm trying to say is that I understand both parties and that everything happened exatly the way it was supposed to happen.

[End of part 1, the message turned out to be too long lol]
Jane said…
[part 2]

"As for the forehead kiss, I suppose, that's where people can be different and that's totally, totally okay too... I like it that Ōdanna showed restrain... because at that time, he wasn't sure if Aoi liked him, and Aoi wasn't even sure of her feelings to him."

No-no, don't get me wrong, I appreciate his restraining himself and I respect Odanna a lot for that, but it's also easy to feel disappointed when the last (almost) interaction that you see in the anime between Aoi and Odanna is... restraint. That's just not a good ending point :D if you're showing me some restraint, then show me what happens after that restraint is not necessary anymore lololol :D of course, I understand that the real problem is that the anime only covers a half of the story, but I couldn't help but think "whaaaat? Is that all?.. :( " by the end of the last episode, since there was no proper closure. Now that I know what the ending is like, I feel much much better about the story overall. I would still want Gonzo to animate the second half of the plot! I really liked the anime.

"But anyway, with vol 10 Ch 5, I hope you get your curiosity fixed! Ah, vol 6 ch 9 also has Ōdanna-sama changing the not-kiss... to be a better one... but vol 10 ch 5 definitely tops it!"

I am so looking forward to reading it! I am that kind of a person who would sacrifice her sleep if it means finishing a great book or a movie, so I'll be patiently waiting for the upcoming translation :) (although restraining myself for another week is gonna be hard! Oh, poor Odanna-sama, he had been waiting for Aoi for so long, definitely for more than just a week! :D :D :D )
Jane said…
Btw, I looked through the first chapters in the manga, and Odanna is meaner there than in anime. But still, he's not mean enough to be irritating :D I wish they animated his facial expressions a bit better in the first episodes of the anime.

Also, is it just me, but the almost-kiss scene was poorly animated? Something was definitely going on with Odanna's and Aoi's faces drawn in profile, especially their eyes and noses...
Icha said…
Hi Jane, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the responses! I enjoy reading them too!

Ah, thanks for offering your opinion re: Ōdanna not being nice in eps 1-2. That makes sense... he might think, gosh this girl! I gave up my psychic essence, basically my life for her, and she rejects me in front of everyone! Though I was hoping he'd understand why Aoi rejected a stranger (oni, no less!) to be her fiancee without her consent, that would be asking for him to see it from a human's perspective.

but, I still can't shake off the feelings that it's a mixture of him being annoyed and also him knowing that Aoi is a stubborn girl (because surely he'd been observing her every now and then incognito). Still, the moment he realised his cold approach wouldn't be effective is when Matsuba-sama scolded him. In the associated novel chapter, Aoi described Ōdanna-sama's look then as unreadable, or something like that. The anime somewhat showed that he had a second thought there in ep 2.

"if you're showing me some restraint, then show me what happens after that restraint is not necessary anymore lololol :D of course, I understand that the real problem is that the anime only covers a half of the story, but I couldn't help but think "whaaaat? Is that all?.. :( " by the end of the last episode, since there was no proper closure."

LOL! There is a funny YouTube video where the YT-er stitched an angry guy destroying his laptop after watching the almost-kiss scene between Aoi and Setsu. I LOL when I watched that YT!

Btw, yes, the almost-kiss could've been animated better. There were some parts that were okay, but Aoi's profile was weird. Ōdanna's profile was generally okay for me, but he'd been more handsome in other scenes. Still, I like the glowing effects in that almost-kiss... and how Ōdanna thought Aoi cried because she was afraid of him because he was an oni... despite his attitude claiming that he's her husband at times, Setsu actually really doubted that Aoi would love him for who he is...

Btw, if you finished the anime two days ago (or thereabout) and you dropped your first comment about 36 hours ago, then you must have binged reading the post-anime chapters then? Including those translated by Fan Translator By Choice? btw, in vol 6 ch 6, we have Setsu in his birthday suit in the mountain onsen, and he was in a panic mode when Aoi accidentally saw him in his birthday suit OUTSIDE of the onsen pool. I had a fun time reading it (FTBY translated it, not me). Did you read it?
Jane said…
No worries :)

"In the associated novel chapter, Aoi described Ōdanna-sama's look then as unreadable, or something like that. The anime somewhat showed that he had a second thought there in ep 2."

Totally agree! There definitely was guild in that side glance of his. But it was so cute, it felt as if a grandpa was scolding his grandson :D

"LOL! There is a funny YouTube video where the YT-er stitched an angry guy destroying his laptop after watching the almost-kiss scene between Aoi and Setsu. I LOL when I watched that YT!"

Oh yes, I've seen that video! I laughed so hard!!! That was exactly how I felt :) Initially I went to YT just to read what other people thought of that scene, but I definitely did not expect the laptop part :D :D :D it was hilarious!

Agree, Odanna was animated more or less okay, but Aoi's eyes, face and nose were totally off. Maybe, the animator was also frustrated with the forehead kiss, so he temporarily lost his animation skills :D still, the scene was very good, and very memorable.

Haha you're right, I've been trying to combine my normal life responsibilities with reading the translations :) I skipped Ch 6 (except for Ch9, of course, how could I do that? But now I want more! lol). I've read almost everything from Ch7 onwards, and almost all of your spoiler articles. I needed to urgently satisfy my curiosity, otherwise I wouldn't be able to work :D
Jane said…
Oh no, why did I skip Vol6 Ch6? O_o such a hilarious scene, thanks for the tip! :D although I didn't quite get from the translation (maybe I'm not very bright lol) which parts of the birthday suit Aoi saw :)
Icha said…
"I needed to urgently satisfy my curiosity, otherwise I wouldn't be able to work :D"

IKR! Same here! I have a mountain of things to do... and I'm very very busy, but if I don't upload vol 10 ch 5 before I leave for field work next week, I won't be able to focus on my work LOL!

"although I didn't quite get from the translation (maybe I'm not very bright lol) which parts of the birthday suit Aoi saw :)"

NOW WE'RE TALKIN'....

Isn't it the question of the year, eh?! Now that you mentioned it, I am also curious, hahaha!!!

Also what his pose was when Aoi spotted him, and what his reaction was other than dashing back to water. Like, did he hastily cover his family jewel before he went back to the water... perhaps...? ^_^
Jane said…
Lol the more I read that paragraph, the more questions I had about the scene :D the only thing I could figure out is that Odanna was at least half-turned in Aoi's direction. Otherwise he wouldn't have noticed her, and there was no indication of Aoi making rustling noises or gasping when she was approaching the springs, so him turned to her with his back and then reacting to a sound coming from her direction is definitely not an option :D by the way, isn't it slippery around hot springs? :) (Not sure though, I have never been to one) If Odanna were really covering his jewels while dashing back to the springs that would be the most hilarious thing! And imagine that after that he also had the nerve (or courage? Lol) to joke about Aoi coming to take a bath with him :D

P.S.: sorry for such a late reply! The last couple of days have kept me busy, but now I can finally read Vol 10! *_*
Icha said…
Hi Jane!

No worries about being late, I have a mountain of to-do list as well... I'm just glad you like coming back here! ^_^

Now... regarding the crucial body position of the crown jewel scene... I have to look at the original novel in JP to really check it. However, I trust FTBC's translation, hence it doesn't seem that the passage indicates the EXACT body position of Ōdanna's. HOWEVER, it does mean that there's room for a lush interpretation for both manga and anime... whereby the crown jewel is suggested in the scene...

Which would make me squeal in delight when I end up seeing it... the scene, I mean....

Hahahaha!!

Enjoy vol 10 ch 5! Lemme know in that post later what you think of it! Particularly the part where Aoi was being decisive in treating Ōdanna's mouth LOL!
Runa said…
Hi, my name is Irina, I'm from Russia, so I'll use a translator, I wanted to ask if it's possible to find this part of the quarrel between Aoi and One
Icha said…
Hello Irina,

Thank you very much for reading this blog, although it's in English! Спасибо!

I'm not sure though, what you meant by the quarrel between Aoi and Ōdanna-sama. Do you mean in volume 11?

“A husband and wife quarrel about asparagus and bamboo shoot”

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/09/vol-11-list-of-chapters.html
Jane said…
Haha the only issue is that whatever lush interpretation of that scene I come up with, anime will never bring that to life lololol (if we're lucky to have the second season) That's one of the reasons why I enjoy reading books. You can always imagine whatever you want :)
Icha said…
Hahaha!

Yeah, I get what you mean though. I love books because of that too...

Btw, in vol 6 ch 8, Ōdanna actually hugged Aoi in quite a hot way, that was when he showed Aoi his vegetable garden. He said something rather hot as well. Something about him being a male hence he had to restrain himself or so. I’d love to see that scene in anime too, if we’re ever so lucky to have Season Two. Same with Vol 6 Ch 3... steamy...
Jane said…
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll go read what I missed :D
Anonymous said…
I like this anime. Some may not like it because it's not the typical romance wherein the guy is possessive but for me love is you give support to your loved ones,always there that you can count on. Happy for your success, uplift you when your sad,encourage you when your hopeless. Wait for you without asking in return. Let you grow instead of caging you. Love is gentle. Love is understanding. I think that's the context that has been taken for granted nowadays.
Icha said…
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, Anon! You made my day!

I agree totally with every word you typed, how beautiful those words are! Thank yoU!

I am glad that more and more people see this anime (and the whole story) as something to celebrate. I'm in the midst of translating Vol 7 ch 5 now; it takes much longer than I expected due to things IRL, but it's getting there.

Thanks again!
denis said…
hola ! muchas gracias por todo❤️ he terminado de leer todo lo que has traducido. Hahaha te leo desde chile. De verdad muchas gracias. Espero todo este bien para ti c:
Icha said…
¡Oooh, muchas gracias por leer desde Chile! ¡Estoy tan contenta de que todas mis traducciones te ayuden de alguna manera! Todavía estoy trabajando lentamente en el volumen 7, capítulo 5, pero cruzo los dedos para poder terminar la traducción a fines de marzo. Muchas gracias por las visitas y el comentario, ¡se lo agradezco de verdad!
Unknown said…
I love this anime and manga so much I am so annoyed I can't find the English translation for the last couple of books. I am dying to know how they get together ans the whole back story!

I only recently came across it and your blog

It is so refreshing to find a mature healthy relationship 😌 I love it! So upset we didn't get a season 2!
Icha said…
Hello Unknown,

Thank you so much for the visit and comment! I have translated the majority of Vol 9 and a very important chapter of vol 10, as well as given a summary of vol 10 ending. Thus, if you haven't found them already, you can learn the fate of our couple by reading those translations. Hope it helps!

And yes, I agree that a mature healthy relationship that was not written just for the sake of drama (cue some modern K-drama and J-drama... dramatic stories) is really refreshing to read!

Anonymous said…
Thank you for your hard work! Don't rush yourself - everything you do and have done is sincerely appreciated.
Icha said…
Hello Anon, apologies for the late reply! Thank you so much for your visits and comments, truly appreciate them!

I've finished my major deadlines, with one more to go for this coming Monday week, but I should be able to have some "me time" this week and leisurely resume translating vol 7 ch 5. Thank you soooo much for your patience!

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 6 List of Chapters & Volume 1 Chapter 5 link