Volume 6 List of Chapters & Volume 1 Chapter 5 link


Since I noticed that at least one of you searched for the location of Volume 6 Chapter 1, herewith I will just add a chapter list for Volume 6 (Book 6) of the Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi novel. Chapters 1-8 are from Fan Translator By Choice and the links will take you to her site (I am forever thanking her for her time in translating more than 80% of Volume 6, it's a hard work...). Chapters 9-10 are my own translations. When I have time later, I might add a short summary of each chapter. This volume is such a fun to read, thus enjoy! 

Click here to continue reading Volume 7 of the novel. Click here to read the heavy SPOILERS from Volumes 7-10. Click here for the Chapter Index of the novel volumes 6 onwards. 


Volume 6 
あやかしお宿に新米入ります
The Newly-harvested Rice Enters the Inn for the Spirits^

Autumn is coming to the well-established Tenjin-ya Inn in Kakuriyo (the Netherworld) where the spirits live. Aoi, who was kidnapped by the rival inn Orio-ya, cleared the curse of the Southern Land after completing a dish with much difficulty. Waiting for her triumphant return is the warm and very busy days with her friends at Tenjin-ya. While thinking of a new line of souvenirs and move forward with the preparation for the Autumn Festival, the Moonflower Restaurant will be reopened. At such a time, Aoi received an invitation from Ōdanna for an orchard date. Although it’s supposed to be a normal invitation, after going through the Orio-ya case, Aoi realises that she wants to know more about Ōdanna... 


Table of Contents

Chapter 1: Autumn's Newly-harvested Rice (in which Ōdanna asks Aoi for a date at an orchard)

Chapter 2: The Village Hidden in Hyakumemomiji Part 1 (in which Ōdanna and Aoi have a date at the orchard)

Chapter 3: The Village Hidden in Hyakumemomiji Part 2 (in which Ōdanna and Aoi try to rescue a village by... cooking)

Intermission 1: Another Worthy Opponent (in which Ranmaru and Hatori visit Tenjin-ya, narrated by Ginji)

Chapter 4: A Secret Girls' Night-out (in which Aoi, O-Ryō, Kasuga and Shizuna had a girl's night out)

Intermission 2: Akatsuki and a Letter from Utsushiyo (in which Akatsuki receives a letter from Suzuran, narrated by Akatsuki)

Chapter 5: The Tanuki's Marriage (in which we learn more about Kasuga's impending wedding)

Chapter 6: An Uncle, Pampas Grass, and Moon-viewing Sake (in which we - and most importantly Aoi - find Ōdanna in an onsen...in his birthday suit...)

Chapter 7: Tenjin-ya's Hotspring Manjuu Part 1 (in which Aoi designs a hot spring manjuu)

Chapter 8: Tenjin-ya's Hotspring Manjuu Part 2 (in which Ōdanna shows Aoi his vegetable garden)

Intermission 3: Kasuga and O-Ryō (in which Kasuga tries to make up with O-Ryō before the former leaves Tenjin-ya for good, narrated by Kasuga)

Chapter 9: The Autumn Festival at Tenjin-ya (in which Aoi cooks pumpkin dishes for Ōdanna-sama, who finally dot-dot-dot her)

Chapter 10: A Tumultuous New Beginning (in which Tenjin-ya learns of Ōdanna-sama's disappearance from none other than Raijū)



In addition, Cherry Lining translated part of Volume 5 Chapter 9 (the last chapter, about Ginji partly confessing to Aoi of the identity of the masked kind ayakashi) here and Volume 5 Epilogue narrated by Ranmaru here. FTBC also translated Volume 1 Chapter 5, where Ōdanna-sama took Aoi for the first time to Yōto, thanking her for rescuing Tenjin-ya from Matsuba-sama's wrath. Here's the link. It's a lovely read too...


Note:

^ FTBC was right when she said that Vol 6 title can be interpreted in two ways. 新米 is "newly-harvested rice" or "novice, beginner, newcomer". There is no novice coming to Tenjin-ya in Vol 6, but in Ch 10 we know that Raijū comes to Tenjin-ya. However, he's not a novice per se, because he definitely is cunning and does not exhibit any "newcomer" or "newbie" attitude at all. 

OTOH, there are some instances where the stories point out to the literal translation of 新米 as "newly-harvested rice". In Ch 1 we have O-Ryō, Kasuga, Akatsuki and even Sasuke hoarding Aoi's stock of new rice. In Ch 2 we have Aoi making Ōdanna some onigiri (aaah! Onigiri!) from the newly-harvested rice. And last but not least, in Ch 9 Ōdanna-sama was making a commentary on how blissful he feels every time he eats rice. 

Thus, I think the title is heading more towards the "newly-harvested rice", though Raijū's reference does not escape me.


Comments

Aikah912 said…
SUBSCRIBED! 😊 Thank God i found this blog! I cant really get over this story. I want more of Odanna-sama and Aoi.. Thank you for your efforts Icha! You have save my heart! haha
Icha said…
Hahaha! Thanks a lot for reading, commenting and subscribing, Aikah! I do post updates on FB, Twitter and some other pages, but subscription is easier for readers...

I am also very grateful that I found this story, and able to translate it. It's a learning curve for my Japanese, but I regret none of it. In fact, I'm very grateful for the lessons and the beautiful storylines!
Aikah912 said…
Where can i follow you on facebook?? I will wait patiently for all your updates.. :) And How i wish i could read and understand japanese too. :(
Icha said…
Oh, I post the updates on the "Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi Brasil" because they seem to be the most active one. But subscribing to this blog is the best way to get updates, for you are notified the moment I post something new.

I'm still translating Vol 9 Ch 1 now. It's purely Aoi and Ōdanna, so it's a pleasure to translate. However, I have been very busy this week, hence the translation progress is slow. I hope I can make more rooms this weekend for translation after finishing one major deadline today. I won't be able to post Vol 9 Ch 1 this weekend, but I hope I can do that on the weekend of next week.

It took me YEARS to study Japanese. I first studied it back in 1995 or so in college (shows how old I am...), but I dropped it because I wasn't committed enough. Then when I was working a few years later, I picked it up again, but only until katakana and hiragana; kanji scared me so I dropped it back. Then in 2017 I picked it up again, but this time with the help of Duolingo, Italki.com and easier access to Japanese grammar books and help from internet, I have been improving my Japanese steadily.

So, I didn't come here and translate the novel out of the blue, it was after a loooong struggle that I actually found it quite easy to understand the novel (and that is once I transcribe the Japanese script; I can't just read the Kanji and know all their meanings)...

Unknown said…
Assisti o anime a muito tempo, eu fiquei apaixonada pelo Odanna-sama, e fiquei desesperada querendo ver o desenvolvimento do casal buscava no Google em português mas nada, Então tentei entrar ne um grupo brasileiro no Facebook, demoraram meses pra me aprovarem no grupo, mas enfim consegui entrar, quero agradecer a pessoa q traduz e me passou o link no Facebook. Você é demais, estou muito feliz. Thank you
Icha said…
Obrigada! I'm sorry I don't speak Portuguese, but thank you for your visit and commenting!

Desculpe não falar português, mas obrigada pela visita e pelo comentário!
Katie said…
Thank you so much for translating and posting!! Odanna-sama & Aoi have my heart! My husband suggested I watch Kakuriyo no Yadomesh (Bed & Breakfast for Spirits) on Funimation (English dub) after I was morning the "too short" anime Kamisama Kiss! I love reading, but I really hope they make more of the anime!
Icha said…
Hi Katie,

Thank you for your presence! Yes, Aoi-Ōdanna is really one of my OTPs; the biggest one at the moment, really! Surprising though to learn that your husband suggested that you watched Kakuriyo! Very interesting. I always thought that we have more female than male Kakuriyo fan, so to learn about the viewpoint of a male fan (via your husband) is very reassuring!

And yes I hope Gonzo and Kadokawa will make Season 2 soon, because the story is just so beautiful and mature, it definitely deserves another season!
Estefany said…
I can't believe in this, you're such an angel! I felt so in love whith the anime that it broke my heart when i didnt found out about a second season, i will surely start reading this and following your translations! thank you so much!
Icha said…
Hi Estefany,

Thank you very much for your comment, and so glad you found my blog!

How did you find this blog, though? I understand it's quite hard to find, depending on keywords on Google, hence I'm trying to improve my SEO.

have a nice day!
Estefany said…
actually, i found your blog through a link on facebook, i was searching for portuguese translations but since i didnt found one that was really active and i was so desesperated cause i loved the story so much, it was very useful to find your blog. Do you post on tumblr though? i think this one is a very useful tool to let more people know about your translations since i see other people doing this with other stories. Have a nice day too and sorry for the big text (:
Icha said…
Ooh, I did post on Tumblr, but not anymore because when I tried to find my own posts on Tumblr, just to test if others could find it easily, I couldn’t even find it! I’ve used all available tags for Kakuriyo (with its variants), but my posts didn’t even come up during the search...

But that’s a good suggestion indeed, I’ll do it again later! Thank you very much for the advice!

And no worries with the big texts, I couldn’t even find any big texts in your message...

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 12 List of Chapters