Laruha Art Book and a surprise short story

Laruha's gorgeous art book, containing e.g., art works of Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi

Gosh, apologies for being so inactive lately. Too many IRL deadlines to finish… BUT, I have finished transcribing Vol 7 Ch 4 (yaay!), so I can start translating it! It is 20 A4 pages, so I will need about a month to finish translating, so hopefully I can finish it by mid-September or so. Gomen… But Vol 7 Ch 4 has an interesting tidbit about Ōdanna-sama, and the intelligence comes from Byakuya-san. So, it’s definitely worth the wait IMO.

Now, in the meantime, I have more interesting tidbits. I recently purchased several Kakuriyo books that I want to share with you. The first one is Vol 12 of the light novel (I need to translate the table of contents soon!). The second one is Vol 8 of the manga in Japanese. Not too much happening there in terms of Ōdanna-sama, because he was traveling in Utsushiyo and Aoi had to help the Tenjin-ya guys catering to my other heartthrobs Hatori and Tokihiko-dono who barged in into Tenjin-ya as guests. We do have some moments of Aoi having a lavish kaiseki with Ōdanna-sama (which makes me really really want to visit Japan again, as if I haven’t longed to do so the last two years!) and them exchanging the Kakuriyo version of emails. But the rest of manga vol 8 is about Aoi match-making Shizuna-chan and Tokihiko-dono and winning Hatori on her side as well. Oh, we also see the jyaki who almost killed Shizuna… and I have to say, it’s VERY different from the anime visual. 


Vol 12 of the light novel (left) and Vol 8 of the manga (right)


The third book that I bought was the Laruha artbook, containing many of Laruha’s beautiful artworks on Kakuriyo and other stories (see the first image in this post). Boy, I am glad I bought this artbook, for it took me a while to make up my mind… (eBay has some copies, if you’d like to buy it!). 

Anyways. I found three new information in the Laruha artbook. First, it has the visual of Takechiyo-sama’s, the prince who is instrumental in helping Aoi rescuing Ōdanna-sama. We first met Takechiyo in Vol 7 Ch 3 (which I only summarised). He looks like what I imagined of him, actually… 

Takechiyo-sama and Zakuro, art by Laruha (sourced from this site)

The second one: it has the visual of Zakuro-san’s, a beautiful ayakashi who might have had a crush with Ōdanna-sama (there was certainly a gossip back when they were in college that Zakuro and Setsu were dating, and it upsets Aoi big time, to Setsu’s glee!). Zakuro is beautiful, but not as beautiful as I thought she would. I always imagined her to be as gorgeous as… say, Sailor Mars… (cos I think Sailor Mars is the most beautiful Sailor ever!)… but Zakuro is definitely gorgeous. 

The third and most important tidbit from the Laruha artbook is… a SHORT STORY about Setsu and Aoi… and it is set when Aoi was already back in Utsushiyo to continue her tertiary degree. 


KYAAAAA!!!


Anyways. Upon realising the hidden gem in this gorgeous art book, I actually squealed! Laruha painted Setsu like a younger version of Ōdanna-sama, just like a college boy, and he looks gorgeous in a white shirt! 


KYAAAAA!!!


So the story is that Aoi apparently often returned to Kakuriyo during her study breaks (or weekends). Hence, it is technically part of Volume 10 of the light novel. During one of the trips to Kakuriyo, she forgot her smartphone there. Hence, Setsu decided to go to Utsushiyo to bring the smartphone back to her. 

How sweeeeeet….

Ōdanna-sama's unexpected visit to Utsushiyo (art by Laruha, short story by Yūma Midori)

Even sweeter: Setsu had an overnight stay at Aoi’s place!

Yes, dear readers! The title of this short story is actually 大旦那様が我が家に一白, or “The night Ōdanna-sama stayed at my place”.


KYAAAAA!!!


How gorgeous is this Ōdanna-sama in a white shirt? I bet Aoi goes berserk just looking at him!
(art by Laruha, story by Yūma Midori)


Okay, although Setsu stayed overnight, I don’t think the story is X-rated at all. However, skimming over it, it’s a sweet chapter. Definitely worth translating!

This short story also has two illustration panels of Setsu and Aoi in Utsushiyo. So sweet… I’ve taken photos of the panels above. I purposely did not scan these panels because… well, I want to help Laruha. Hence, if you like these panels, and you have a bit of spare income (I know it’s hard these days…), please buy the artbook on eBay. It’s usually titled “Laruha Art Book Camellia Snowdrop Kakuriyo Bed and Breakfast for Spirits”. It’s expensive, but who knows you might find a cheaper copy one day…

Anyways, I will go back to translating Vol 7 Ch 4. Talk to you later, and be safe and happy…


Update 14 Aug 2022:

I should've translated the content of Vol 12 of the light novel first. Apparently, the short story above (“Ōdanna-sama’s overnight stay at my place”) is one of the short stories of Vol 12. Thus, this volume seems to collect stories before Aoi got married to Setsu (but after she returned to our world to resume her university degree) AND also after Aoi got her degree and married Setsu. So, yay! And definitely Vol 12 list is coming up!

Also, Vol 12 of the light novel has some cross-over chapters between Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi and "Asakusa Oni Bride's Diary"!! Specifically, one chapter is about conversations between Ōdanna-sama and a shop proprietor of a Chinese herbal pharmacy called “One Thousand Nights” (千夜漢方薬局). The proprietor's name is "Suiren" and he is described as a "suspicious-looking guy". However,  Ōdanna-sama obviously trusts Sui. Sui himself knows Ōdanna is an important ayakashi and was appropriately surprised when he learned why Ōdanna-sama was in Asakusa. Get this: this story was BEFORE Aoi confessed her love to Ōdanna-sama, way back in anime Season 1 when Ōdanna-sama was doing an errand for Aoi (specifically, buying chocolate). Specifically, Ōdanna-sama asked Sui where he could buy the chocolate, because that was the only thing on Aoi's errand list he hadn't been able to obtain. So cool! 

The next chapter is about Ōdanna-sama bumping into Shutendōji on the way to get the chocolate. As the main male character in the "Asakusa Oni Bride's Diary", Shuntendōji has settled in Asakusa and he now calls himself Amasake Kaoru. Kaoru/ Shuntendōji is an interesting character. His way of words reminds me of Ranmaru; he has no qualms in saying 「うるさい!」or "Urusai!" or "Shut up!" to the powerful Kijin Ōdanna-sama. But clearly, from their interactions, they are old friends. From my skim-reading, in terms of love, it seems Kaoru is the antithesis of  Ōdanna-sama who always professed his love silently (and not so silently) to Aoi. Kaoru loves his girlfriend (see below), but it seems he's not ready to take his relationship further. It was the conversation with Ōdanna-sama who made Kaoru realised he missed  his girlfriend. At the end of the conversation, as Ōdanna-sama disappears into the night, Kaoru hastens towards where his girlfriend lives. 

The last chapter shows a conversation between Aoi and Shutendōji's girlfriend (who is also an oni, actually). The girlfriend's name is Ibaraki-maki, who might have been inspired by Ibaraki-dōji, another important oni, during the Heian era. Aoi and Ibaraki are on first name basis; Aoi called Ibaraki "Maki-chan" and Maki also calls Aoi "Aoi-chan". Thus, the story must have been set after Aoi returned to Utsushiyo for her university degree, and Setsu must have introduced her to both Kaoru and Maki. 

Kyaaaa!! I want to translate these chapters!!!


Comments

rina said…
Oh, my God, I knew you wouldn't leave us. I am very glad that you continued to translate kakurio, and I will look forward to all your translations. I can't wait. good luck
Kikaykim said…
Thank you for the update! Stay safe!
Anonymous said…
Oh, how glad I am that you can take the time again to continue translating the chapters. Thanks so much for the Update and for continue translating ! Stay safe and sound ! Many greetings from Germany
Icha said…
Hi Unknown, Kikaykim and Anon, thanks a lot for the comments!

I will do my best to keep translating. On that note, please send me those loving positive energy so that I can finish my deadlines and work stuff to the best of my ability... so that I can dedicate my evenings and weekends for Kakuriyo TLC... thanks yeah!
Anonymous said…
hello 👋 I'm glad you came back I was waiting a lot for your updates back I loved seeing those illustrations of aoi and odanna it was the only thing that needed new content and what better than yours as always the best page if it's about kakuriyo but I'm waiting I wanted to see zakuro's image after hearing a lot about them (spoilers) especially his encounter with aoi I hope you can translate that part thank you very much
Icha said…
thanks a lot, Anon!

I hesitated to post Zakuro's image because... I've breached more than enough copyrights IMO by posting the new never-seen before Setsu-Aoi panels...

However, someone else has posted Takechiyo-Zakuro images (they belong to the same page), hence I reposted those images here. They're available above now. The source is this one, art of course by Laruha:

https://myfigurecollection.net/blog/43540

Anonymous said…
thank you very much for the link i really appreciate it
without a doubt laruha makes art in every sense of the word
Finally, I would like to ask you a few things, if it is not too much trouble, I would look at them and I would like you to solve them for me. These things do not let me sleep. TT I need to share them with someone who is better than you.
1-I read somewhere and I don't know if it's entirely true that Kyosuke has three to four children in the end, I think from Gaiden?
2- Is it true that Aoi is afraid of being a mother because of her past traumas?
3-hatori gets married
4-jade and ginji are a couple? or does she have another love interest after vol 10 she manages to forget aoi?
5-What happened to Ritsuko's husband after her death? (I can not accept it)
6-what happened to ranmaru the rest of the team after the events of vol 5 onwards
7- Odanna gets to meet again with her friend from her human world? Does the multiverse exist with Asakusa? Was he imprisoned in the first place for breaking the rules of the occult realm or for being a setsuki?
8- who was byakuya in the past? or why does raiju fear him so much or how did he meet suzume? a human
I hope you answer me please
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

Thanks a lot for your questions, though I'm afraid I cannot answer most of them. However, in answering them, I need to clarify several things, including regarding the pronouns. I hope I don't offend you, but your native language might be like mine, which has genderless pronouns, hence you might have mixed up pronouns, which made me confused when reading your questions. Again, I hope this clarification does not cause an offence. My answers to some questions are below.

1-I read somewhere and I don't know if it's entirely true that Kyosuke has three to four children in the end, I think from Gaiden?
A: I don't know who Kyosuke is; could you tell me which one is this character? Do you mean, "Sasuke"?

2- Is it true that Aoi is afraid of being a mother because of her past traumas?
A: This is a good question, but I have never come across this reference before. It might be in the Gaiden, and I have not read Gaiden in-depth, hence I cannot answer it right now...

3-hatori gets married
A: he ends up dating Zakuro, and they might be married in the end, so yes, it's likely.

4-jade and ginji are a couple? or does she have another love interest after vol 10 she manages to forget aoi?
A: Who is Jade? And do you mean "does HE have another love interest after vol 10 HE manages to forget aoi?" -- pardon the capital letters on my part, but it's important that I know you meant Ginji or Jade (whom I don't know).

5-What happened to Ritsuko's husband after her death? (I can not accept it)
A: I haven't read much into Gaiden to be able to answer this question, sorry...

6-what happened to ranmaru the rest of the team after the events of vol 5 onwards
A: Ranmaru was quite prominent in vol 8, and he also was in the camp who tried to retain/reinstate Ōdanna-sama as the master of Tenjin-ya. In Gaiden, there is a chapter that tells how Ranmaru never forgets Princess Iso (his love to her blooms from being a child love to the love of a man towards a woman, IMO), hence I don't think he'll ever find another love, at least not soon

7- Odanna gets to meet again with her friend from her human world? Does the multiverse exist with Asakusa? Was he imprisoned in the first place for breaking the rules of the occult realm or for being a setsuki?
A: Do you mean "meet again with his friend from his human world"? As in Shutendōji? I do think that the Gaiden and Chapter 12 would have some references on it, but as of Vol 10, I have no answer to this question. But since Ōdanna-sama frequently visits Asakusa before and after meeting Aoi (and also after Aoi married him), I bet Ōdanna-sama meets Shutendōji regularly. Tsubaki Shirō alluded these meetings in Vol 10 Ch 5.

There is no multiverse per se in Asakusa; more like another dimension linking Kakuriyo and Utsushiyo. The Asakusa Bride Diary is part of the same shared universe with Kakuriyo no yadomeshi.
Ōdanna was imprisoned for the first time (and also the second time) because he is a Setsuki.


8- who was byakuya in the past? or why does raiju fear him so much or how did he meet suzume? a human
A: The answer to this one seems to be in vol 7. There are two Byakuya chapters there, hence I hope that we will learn more as I progress with my translations.

Unknown said…
No problem, it usually happens even when I read something in another language I usually get confused in those parts of the pronouns, it's not a bother at all it must be because of the language well kyosuke I was referring to the Tanuki that appears in Vol 8 it's not Sasuke
What a shame I wrote it were excited sorry I forgot to order these things it seems like a mess hahaha

Ginji: I was referred to young master and Aoi's friend.

Jade: according to what I saw she was a new employee of the inn they describe her as a beautiful woman for what I investigated (sorry I gave you a spoiler without realizing it tt) it comes out in volumes later.

Shutendōji: I forgot the name if I mean to him

Before coming to this page I had read some of the fragments of the novel, not everything, that's why I was looking for answers, I went ahead without knowing it, my apologies now that you tell me that I didn't read it in depth, I understand it

Anonymous said…
I wonder who Zakuro is?
Icha said…
Hi Unknown and Anon,

Anon, as I wrote above, Zakuro is Setsu's old friend from college in Kakuriyo. There was a gossip that she and Setsu/Ōdanna-sama were a couple back in the college days, and that gossip had made Aoi jealous.

Zakuro is the Hachiyō of the Southeast Land and she will date Hatori in Vol 11 of the light novel.

Unknown, yes, I am aware of who Ginji is ^_^ I just am still not sure who Jade is. Do you mean Zakuro? How do you spell "Jade" in Japanese?

As for Kyosuke, ah yes, it seems I remember him now. I don't know what happens to him afterwards, TBH...

As for Shutendōji, I have added some information in this post above; please refresh your browser to read about him. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Hello there owo!
I started following your blog about 1 year ago but dropped it since the beginning of this year because I, honestly, felt bored and impatient for this light novel. HOWEVER, after more than a half of a year I realized that without Kakuriyo and this blog I even felt more bored! I remember the time when I had over 600 photos captured in an album, clicked on your blog for new notifications everyday and the way I excitedly read and commented to express my respect for your hard work and share my opinion about each chapter. Oh those good old days and I can't help coming back. Now I'm here again, reread your posts and write this comment with full of enjoyment and happiness.
You are such a great blogger who can make readers miss you so bad ///>~<///
Now I will watch the anime and read light novel again because I have forgotten so many details, it will take long but I don’t mind!
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

Sorry for the late reply, so many deadlines IRL...

Thanks a lot for coming back. I can't increase my speed because I have my real life obligations and deadlines, but I do feel happy whenever I am able to transcribe and transfer each and every page of the Kakuriyo story.

vol 7 ch 4 is a beautiful chapter, hence I hope your patience will be rewarded.

Sky said…
I WISH I CAN BUY THE BOOK BUT BUYING FOREIGN ITEMS ONLINE MUST BE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. YIKES:(

I also wish i can see more of the illustration but of course I understand if you cant reveal much to support the artist. They're so gorgeous hshs

what if people saw her with Setsu tho? Bet they'll curious to know whos that fine guy hahaha
Icha said…
Hi Sky!

Yes, haha, they can be quite expensive, really!

Yes, unfortunately, due to copyright, I prefer to not scan more of the books... because I understand how hard artists these days live, what with COVID etc... But I hope you will be able to purchase the book somehow in the near future! Who knows, got a new job, a salary increase, etc...!

I really think that Setsu in a suit would be sooo gorgeous! ahahaha! I would be so jealous of Aoi if I see her with him, in a suit or in a kimono!

(but then Aoi would cook me my favourite food, and just like O-Ryō, I would be jealous no more and I would befriend her!)

Thank you yeah. I'm quite busy this November, but come mid Dec, hopefully I will have more time for translations, just in time for a Christmas present for you guys!
Soldemedia said…
AHHHHH! Setsu con la apariencia de un chico humano se ve tan lindo!!!! Me da como una vibra de chico malo pero a la vez recto y tierno !! Ahhhh!!! Me encanta!!!

Muchas gracias por la información espero que algún día esté en español
Icha said…
Hola, lo siento por la respuesta tardía. He estado enfermo de gripe desde Navidad... así que no he podido hacer ninguna traducción. Pero echo de menos a Setsu y Aoi y espero poder empezar a traducir de nuevo antes de Año Nuevo. Y sí, tienes razón, Setsu tiene esa vibra linda y sensible de chico malo, ¡jaja!
Natalita said…
Omg I love those drawings! Setsu and Aoi for life! I will look for the book and see if I can buy it, thanks for the link!! I hope the author continues to write the story.. is volume 12 the latest volume? I would love to see our favorite couple’s biological child!!!! Some day I hope… 🤞
Icha said…
Hi hi!

So sorry for the late reply! I've been having crazy weeks at work, but things should get better soon. Yes, Vol 12 is the latest, and possibly the last volume. I do want to see Setsu-Aoi's biological child, so we need a "Return of the Raijū" storyline or something to wrap things up!

I've been busy making a yukata because I'm going to Japan in a few months, hence I put the translation on hold. However, I should be able to finish the yukata this weekend, and fingers crossed I'll resume the translation! Thanks for waiting!

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 12 List of Chapters