Novel Vol 7 Intermezzo 1 (Ginji at Dawn)

Ginji-san & Aoi (source)

Oh wow! Tenjin-sama (the God of Learning) must be with me this week, for I was able to finish translating the Intermezzo of Volume 7 in a short time! 

Please refrain from posting my translations elsewhere. If you need to quote it, please acknowledge my site for the quote, because translating from Japanese hardcopy texts to English is a really hard work...

I will delete this translation when there is an indication that the novel will be translated into English and I will replace it with the summary of the chapter.  Meanwhile, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy reading it at least as much as I enjoy translating it. 

The next chapter is a long chapter (36 pages), hence will take a long time. Like, a good few months. However, hopefully I can post it before this year’s Christmas…


Novel Vol 7 Intermezzo 1 (Ginji at Dawn)

P204

“Even when I’m tired, when I go back home, when I see your smile and your cooking, I’m sure I’ll be able to do my best…”


Yes, turned out, I was indeed tired. 

Yet, Aoi-san’s cooking, which exposes ayakashi’s heart, still does its job…

Ah, how pathetic am I, to blurt out something like that?

At dawn, I woke up to find that my fatigue had completely vanished. That, coupled with the winter chill, gave me a good sensation. I observed my surroundings in silence^. 

Yet, when I got up and stretched myself, I suddenly noticed something. 

I am inside the Moonflower’s tatami room. I turn pale.

“W-what happened to me? Did I just fall asleep like that?”

P205

I feel so miserable that my cheeks and ears droop. Overwhelmed by various emotions, I cover my face with my palms. As the Young Master I act like I got everything under control in front of Tenjin-ya staff. However, in front of Aoi-san, slowly slowly I ended up showing my weakness and true feelings. Perhaps it was because we both run the Moonflower, cook together, eat together, talk about things, such that I’ve completely fallen in love with her. 

Before I know it, the Moonflower has totally become a place of healing for me.

That being said, I really don't think it's okay for me to sleep in a place like this. I’m sure I’ve surprised Aoi-san too. 

“Eh…? Wait, Aoi-san?”

I didn't notice it earlier because it was dark, but now I see a figure lying face down on the counter. 

Aoi-san. Still wearing her Moonflower kimono and a thick hanten jacket over it, she’s sleeping face down on the counter; her hair undone. Flustered, I sprang out of the tatami area towards Aoi-san. 

“Aoi-san, you’ll get sick if you're sleeping here, you… know…”

However, my hand stopped just as I was about to shake her shoulder. Sleeping face down, Aoi-san’s hand is holding something. Her hair ornament, adorned with the flower-shaped crimson crystal.

P206

It was the very hair ornament that Ōdanna-sama gave her when she arrived at Tenjin-ya. Instead of being a mere bud, the crystal flower is now blooming. Aoi-san must’ve been staring at this flower until she fell asleep.

“… Ōdanna…sama…”

I said nothing. 

Is that so. With Ōdanna-sama, Aoi-san is now already…

A little smile suddenly formed in her lips as she was talking in her sleep. Yet, before long, the smile disappeared.

Aoi-san is Ōdanna-sama’s fiancée.

Until recently, she was but Ōdanna-sama’s promised bride whose engagement was forced unto her. However, she now has developed feelings for him. Once she realises and accepts these feelings, that’s the moment I no longer have a role in her life. 

Before, together with Aoi-san, I opened a small eatery called the Moonflower here and fumbled around trying to maintain it. It was but a young eatery. Aoi-san called this shop her place to return home and I’m sure that even when she’s already married, she would still take care of this place and make it thrive. However, dare I say, my relationship with Aoi-san will change afterwards.  I’m sure I won’t be able to have casual chats with her or touch^ her casually either. She’ll be beyond my reach…

“Aoi-san… Let me take you to your room. Please sleep properly. You need to take care of yourself.”

P 207

I carry Aoi-san under my arm and bring her to her own room. I lay Aoi-san down on the futon that Ai-chan had left on the floor, and put the blanket and comforter over her neck. As an oni fire, Ai-chan has warmed the room by floating around. That’s good. 

“Good night, Aoi-san.”

“Hmm… okay, Ginji-san… good night~…”

I said nothing. Aoi-san tossed and turned in her sleep, mumbling again in her sleep. I was about to brush off her bangs that cover her eyes, but I stopped. I stared intently at my own hand before silently rose. 

Then, I immediately left the Moonflower.

I look up towards the dawn sky to see the pale moon there. At this time around, the deepest stillness envelopes Kakuriyo. I surrender myself to the cold winter and feel the heat in my chest dissipating. Exhaling cold air, I remembered what my big brother Ranmaru said to me^.

“You bring yourself pain by falling in love with her, you know...”


-xxx-


Translation notes

Following Kakuriyo Translation & Fan Translator By Choice, I put the page numbers of the original novel volumes (the Japanese version) in the translation to enable any readers who can read Japanese and have the books to examine the related pages. If the last sentence of a page goes over the next page, I will put a combined page number as an indication. 

I use mainly Jisho.org for Kanji searching, though at times Romajidesu.com and Nihongo-pro.com are used as well. I use Google Translator to have a rough guess of the meaning of phrases, but then I consult my trusted Japanese grammar book for the closer approximations of the meanings (the “Japanese the Manga Way” by Wayne P. Lammers – I would have otherwise tripped on nuances such as “kita”, “iku” and “okimasu”). I use The Jaded Network for SFX effect translations.

Seigo Nakao’s “Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary” has proven to be very useful as a companion to Jisho.org. To assist with grammar, I also use Naoko Chino’s “All About Particles”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Japanese Core Words and Phrases”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Common Japanese Collocations”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Basic Connections” and Kamiya Taeko’s “Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication”.


Specific translation notes:

P204: ^ These days I tried to translate 「……」 into something else (e.g. “I remained silent”), because 「……」  translates well in manga pages, but not in novel pages.

P206: ^ The JP ver is 触れ合う、ふれあう、or “to come into contact with; to touch (each other); to have a brush with”. Google Translator suggested “interact”, but interaction can mean just casual verbal chats. Since the Kanji is specifically about “touch” or physical contact, I chose to translate it as “touch(ing) her casually”. After all, at times Ginji-san did casually, but respectfully, touch Aoi.

P207: ^ Ranmaru said it to Ginji at the end of the Southern Land story-arc. It was not in the anime, but it was in Vol 5 of the novel. Another fan translated that epilogue here.


Comments

Katie said…
"I was about to brush off her bangs that cover her eyes, but I stopped. I stared intently at my own hand before silently rose." My heart! All I could think was "uh-oh!" I suppose I am naive, but I did not see that coming. Goodness, Gingi! You fell for Aoi! This is bittersweet. My stomach hurts just thinking of this love triangle.

Thank you so, so much! I love seeing these updates! I wish I could help!
Icha said…
Thank you Katie! Glad that you're pleased with the short chapter and the updates! And thank you for your visits, comments & encouragement!

OMG, really? You didn't see the love triangle coming? ^_^

I can see the love triangle since Ep 2 of the anime... And it was quite a few intense episodes in Kakuriyo anime where ppl are forgiven to think that Ginji was the main LI for Aoi because he featured a lot in these episodes...But I'm never a fan of a love triangle, they add to the unnecessary anxiety when watching something...

Btw, at the end of this intermezzo, I just added an explanation about the quote that Ranmaru spoke. Ranmaru said it to Ginji at the end of the Southern Land story-arc. It was not in the anime, but it was in Vol 5 of the novel. Another fan translated that epilogue here:

https://www.tumblr.com/cherrylining/625625512558084096/kakuriyo-light-novel-volume-5-finale

CatLady said…
This is such a tender and sad chapter... I wasn't expecting this love confession (It was only to himself but, still, so sincere and heartbreaking)

Thank you so much for the double update, I always get happy when I receive an e-mail from the blogspot
Icha said…
No worries, CatLady, and thanks a lot for the visits & encouraging comments! So happy that the updates gave you happiness too...

I feel that Ginji would finally confess his love to Aoi just to get it off his chest. It seems that it would happen in the earlier chapter of Vol 10 before Aoi frees Ōdanna-sama from the underground jail in Vol 10 Ch 5. I feel that Ginji would confess because in Vol 10 ch 5, Ginji's fox fire helped opening up the jail door, which led to Aoi thinking that Ginji blessed her union with Ōdanna-sama. It would be so long before I can come back to Vol 10 though... (unless I jump translate again after finishing vol 7).
Anonymous said…

Ahhhh I knew that ginji was in love with aoi since he got nervous and blushed in the last chapters of the anime but at the same time poor because aoi stays with odanna I hope and they can give him a partner but seriously this triangle is interesting the two are his saviors and Odanna and Ginji are friends and Aoi is his fiancée so it's complicated but also how could he fall in love if he practically watched her grow up? I thought they were a relationship like father and son in principle but I would like to see odanna's reaction xd although I also think that those feelings are wrong I want to see the translation that follows thanks for your work beautiful it is incredible your blog is really a safe space for lovers of this anime bless
Icha said…
Thank you for the comment, Anon!

I think Ōdanna knows that Ginji loves Aoi. In Vol 5 Intermezzo 2 set after Omebozu returned to the ocean, Ōdanna faced Raijū. Raijū being Raijū, he gaslit Ōdanna about Ginji, but Ōdanna just ignored Raijū and said something that implied his own trust to Ginji.

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/02/novel-vol-5-intermission-2-raiju-vs.html

As for Ōdanna himself, he first met Aoi when she was a little child, and he didn't think of her as a potential bride:

https://kakuriyo-yadomeshi.blogspot.com/2021/02/novel-vol-9-prologue-kind-ayakashi.html

However, I think slowly slowly, as he every now and then saw Aoi in the real world, he started to love her as a man loving a woman. I think that's the same with Ginji. Normally, it would be a wrong thing to do, but Ōdanna and Ginji are ayakashi. They live such long lives, and their perspectives are not the same as human perspectives...

At least, that's my take on these issues.

Thanks again for the comment and glad that you feel safe coming and being here!
Kate said…
Thanks a lot for the updates!
That's where it's getting intense... I kinda predicted it from the anime series. While watching, it even seemed to me that her connection with Ginji is more meaningful as they shared more moments together, plus it was not fully explained what contribution Odanna actually had done for Aoi and why he felt for her. But now that I've read it up to this piece (as well as chapters you did from further volumes), I understand how special their relationship is. So now I can't even think of Odanna and Aoi falling apart, but I also feel sorry for Ginji. I think it's harder for an ayakashi to fall out of love than for a human ToT
Icha said…
Thanks a lot Kate!

Yeah, the anime just hinted the importance of Ōdanna-sama in saving Aoi at the very end of the last episode. It did scatter some clues in other episodes as well, but those clues are confusing (as it was meant to be like that). For instance, in one scene, the kind ayakashi had long nails which was a clue for Ōdanna-sama, while in another scene, the hands didn't have long nails, which refers to Ginji-san. Which does suggest two ayakashi behind that mask...

And you're right. Ayakashi's love lasts long, long after the human has gone. Byakuya is another example, and the good news is, after the big chapter that I'm translating now, there's an intermezzo by Byakuya.

Btw, Vol 8 has an intermezzo containing the conversation between Ginji and Ranmaru, which will definitely involve the topic of Aoi. It will be a while before I get there, but I'll get there!
SweetBelladonna said…
Hello from a grateful English-only speaker!
If wonderful people like you didn't exist, I never would have been able to fill in the many gaps the anime/manga left. Between your page and a Chinese translation that google really tried so hard to translate, I was finally able to catch up to volume 11.

I wanted to let you know that I went as far as to contact the publisher of the series to ask/beg that they release English versions of the novels. They replied to say that they were still undecided if they would ever have the novels translated but would take the request under consideration.

I know you mention you worry about copyrights and would take down your pages if English versions were released so for now you have nothing to worry about! Thank you again for doing this, and I hope more novels will be published and translated soon because I am not ready to give up this world!

(Also, how cruel is it that we never get to attend the big wedding?! ugh) :)
Icha said…
Dear SweetBelladonna,

Thank you so much for the comment and info. I truly appreciate you contacting the publisher and I hope that they will decide to translate the novels.

So sorry that I've been so busy that I haven't updated the next chapter. But I guess another reason is because the next chapter (or the rest of Vol 7, rather) has no Ōdanna-sama at all, thus I need to summon more motivations to resume my work. However, Hatori is in the next chapter I'm working on now, so I should preserver!

Also, I've decided to translate a small chapter from Vol 12 about Aoi and Ōdanna-sama, just because I miss the two of them a lot. Please wait for it. It's not a big chapter, so I'll update you guys on the progress.

And yes, so cruel that we never got to attend the big wedding! So unfair! I even dreamed about their wedding night the other day, hahaha! Just a tiny M17 sneak peek of the very early part, but oh my, that would be fun to read/watch!
Natalita said…
Thank you for the translations!!! If translating the whole chapter is too much, I think a review of it showing the general idea of the chapter should be helpful…. 🥰 please don’t stress too much to give us every single word… I can’t imagine how much work it takes! I really appreciate your efforts! Watched the anime for the first time recently and fell in love with the story. ❤️ I had to search for the light novel and the bumped into your work! Thank you bunches for everything! 🥰
Icha said…
Hi Natalita,

SO sorry for the late reply; life has been too busy... You're right... I used to think that chapter summaries are not very interesting to read, but at least the summaries do give readers an idea of what's happening in that chapter.

I planned to post something for the Valentine's Day, but obviously I failed to do so. However, I still plan to do some translations this weekend, and fingers crossed I can post an announcement about that translation in a few days' time.

(it's about Aoi and Ōdanna-sama!)

Thanks a lot for the comments and visits, truly appreciated!

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 6 List of Chapters & Volume 1 Chapter 5 link