My immediate plan for translations


My complete Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi collection (incl. the Gaiden)

Don’t panic. I’m not abandoning the ship! 

No way. I love the Kakuriyo novel so much that I wish I’m paid to work on the translations, so that I can dedicate my time to fully translate the volumes in earnest. But I have no required skills nor certificates for that, hence what I can do is just this fan-translating…

But because an Utsushiyo girl has her own real-world deadlines, I need to prioritise on chapters. Take Vol 7 Chapter 3 for instance. I have yet to translate that chapter, but it has 53 pages, and most of them are (just) food-talk. Well, there’s a context in that (see below), but I’m too impatient to translate 53 pages of food talk. I love eating, but not so much translating 50+ pages of food stuff. 

Hence, due to my Utsushiyo schedules and the length and context of some chapters, I will just have to summarise some chapters. I am still committed to bring the context of each volumes, thus it entails summarising and also translating the chapters. It’s just there’s a trade-off between context and available time. And because I will be quite busy this February onwards, my translation speed will be reduced. Normally, I would be able to transcribe 3-4 original pages in a night. If a chapter has 20 pages (that’s a short chapter!), I should be able to finish transcribing the chapter in a week’s time. I usually will need to add two nights to translate those pages, hence in total, I can finish a chapter of 20 original pages in less than 10 days. However, I’m afraid that this February onwards I may only be able to do one chapter every fortnight… 

However, there are some crucial chapters beyond Vol 7 that I’d like to translate. In view of my reduced speed, I think it’s important that I spoil you guys and translate those crucial chapters asap, while I still have my speed, and while I have your attention. Once I translate those chapters and I gain more readers, I hope that the momentum is enough to keep the saga going, even if I only do fortnightly updates. Of course, you are free not to read the jump-translated chapters. It's just, I don't want to make you wait until late this year just to get to the end of Volume 7, let alone reaching the moment when we finally can read Ōdanna's thoughts in his own words...(Vol 8 Epilogue).

(but please check weekly, just in case magic happens and I can keep translating while doing my Utsushiyo works)

Therefore, do take a look at the line-up translation plan of mine below. Taking everything into account, here’s what I’ll publish in the next few weeks months in chronological order:


1. Vol 5 Intermission 2: Raijū and Ōdanna (translation)

2. Vol 7 Ch 3: Summary of the 53 pages chapter (just so that I don’t leave the audience hanging about what happened next… which basically is about Aoi winning the heart of the King’s grandson through her cooking) 

3. Vol 8 Epilogue: Ōgondōji and Ōdanna (translation)

4. Vol 9 Prologue: Ōdanna narrating about Aoi’s dad and Shiro (translation)

5. Vol 9 Ch 1: Ōdanna finally meeting Aoi again (translation)

6. Vol 9 Ch 2: Aoi cooks Ōdanna meals for the first time in a long time (translation) (Part 1 and Part 2)

7. Vol 9 Intermission: Ōdanna (it finally tells us about the context of the Promised Marriage)

8. Vol 9 Ch 6: Aoi's last bento for Ōdanna (translation)

9. Vol 9 Ch 7: How Aoi found out about Ōdanna's real name (translation)

10. Vol 9 Epilogue: On Aoi deciding to rescue Ōdanna-sama and the Tenjin-ya core crew tag along with her (translation)

11. Vol 10 Ch 5: Aoi & co free Ōdanna from the dungeon  (translation - duh!)

12. Back to Vol 3 Chapter 4 (translation, not just summary)

13. Vol 3 Chapter 5 (summary)

etc.


Even though I will be jumping chapters, it won’t affect the fact that the chapters that I will be jump-translating are not going to tell the whole stories. There are so many other questions to answer, e.g. how would the Tenjin-ya crew react the first time they learned that Ōdanna was a jyaki? How did they decide to still be loyal to him? How did Raijū manage to unmask Ōdanna? How exactly will our couple win back the King’s support?

I don’t have the answers to those questions. For me, the only way to answer them is to go through each chapter and find out what it is about. Ergo, translations or summaries.

Thus, I am certain fans will still read the rest of the translations and summaries, even after the jump-translations.



Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you so much for your effort on this. I and others appreciate it so much. Kakuriyo is my favourite manga and anime series and I wish so bad the light novels were translated into English. I don’t want the series to just die on us, so thank you ❤️
Icha said…
No worries! As always, thanks a lot for reading and the support as well! This blog is originally just for a handful of people who are still into Kakuriyo, but I'm glad that, as time goes by, it actually attracts old fans!

But yeah, as I said, I have to balance real life stuff with the translation, hence I will jump-translate. After I finish Vol 10 Ch 5, i will go back to Vol 7, because I believe there are many important bits there that help our understanding in the Yōto political dynamics & Ōdanna's unmasking.

Thanks again!
Orchidus said…
Your plan makes sense. Like everyone else here, I definitely appreciate your translation efforts in keeping the spirit of Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi alive! Thank you!
Icha said…
Thank you so much, Orchidus, for your encouragement! TBH, I was a bit worried that some readers won’t like the jump-translate idea... and some may actually indeed dislike it. However, I’m glad you understand... so, thank you for that. It’s just, as I said, I’d rather we quickly get to the main points first, then back track a bit after getting the Kakuriyo onibi ignited once more.

Plus, TBH, I miss Ōdanna-sama so much, so I want to “hear” his voice. Hence the jump to Vol 8 Epilogue soon, where he’ll narrate his current situation...

Thanks again n stay safe n healthy!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for translating! I had liked the series so much that I bought the set of light novels despite having a relatively poor command of Japanese language. Will keep looking back for updates :)
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

Thank you for reading and commenting! Oh wow, you also bought the light novels! Aren't they just beautiful? The paper quality, the scent, the artworks...

The best way to keep up with the update is to subscribe to this blog, hence you'll always get notifications.

Nevertheless, for Vol 9 Ch 2 part 1, I'm slower than I expected this week. I still have 6 novel pages to transcribe (about 3 A4 pages) and then I need to translate ~13 A4 pages into English. I thought I'd be able to post 9-2-1 tonight, but nope, not a chance... But I hope I can finish Vol 9 Ch 2 part 1 by this Thursday; fingers crossed.

ah, and feel free to give me input on the translation too!
Unknown said…
Great schedule! You are so organized and yes it makes sense that you decided to skip and translate further, I want to know what happens to Odanna-sama !! Have you considered making a patreon or Setting up a Paypal account for doing these translations? You should because you put a lot of work, time and effort.
Icha said…
Hi again Unknown,

Thanks a lot for visiting, reading and commenting, truly appreciate it!

Thanks for the suggestion about Patreon etc, but I won't be asking for donation... It will be akin to having me receiving monetary compensation. Me translating the novel into English is already in the grey area... I may have breached Yuma Midori Sensei's copyright here... and the only saving grace is that I don't receive payment, hence I do that not for profit. If I receive donation, it will be definitely breaching the copyright even more, hence I won't open up a donation...

However, you are very thoughtful and I am very thankful for your concerns. Truly, thank you...

For now, the best reward for me is the encouraging comments that readers give me. Also, that people are happy about this saga and continue support this series, so that one day, in case Season 2 anime happens, or the novel is translated into English, we'll be more than happy to buy it.

thanks again for the visits, reads and comments!
Lisa said…
Thank you so much for talking the time to do the translations. I love this series so much and i have been gradually telling all my friends to read it too. Everyone who's a fan of this world wide will greatly appreciate your efforts, including me. Sincerely, thank you for making everyones heart just a little more hopeful, brighter and happy!
Icha said…
Hi Lisa,

Thanks a lot for the very lovely encouragement! I'm still transcribing vol 9 ch 7. I might finish it this weekend, but the translation upload will need to wait for another week or so due to my real life commitments.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy to know that my translations are bringing even just that extra bit of sunshine into your life! Blessings and take care...
Anonymous said…
Thank you for your hard work. I really want to know what happened to my beloved Odanna-sama. The anime is not enough for me. Thank God, I found your blog and your beautiful work here. Your well-organized blog is extremely impressive. I have read all your spoilers include the heavy ones but still curious about the details, the way that the story flows so I'm looking forwards to your future translation. Thank you again for your kind sharings.
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

Thanks a lot for your visits and comment! I'm still working on transcribing vol 10 ch 5 (where Aoi confesses her love to Ōdanna-sama), and i still have about 16 novel pages to translate. Fingers crossed I can upload the translation before the end of October (I have a lot of meetings and deadlines by then, so fingers crossed all is well...). Thanks again!
Iceteeize said…
I’m just curious when you think you’ll continue on vol. 7?
And this might be a selfish though and feel free to ignore it. Personally I don’t think you need to translate the volumes that are made to anime. But that’s because I’ve already seen them. Like I said, feel free to ignore that!
And don’t stress, I will wait forever for the updates and just be happy and grateful for when you do and I think most of us feel the same way. I’m studying Japanese myself but I’m years away from being able to read a book in any other language than Swedish and English (and I’m unsure if I can even get the light novels here)
I hope you’re doing fine and prioritize your health and well-being over us!
Icha said…
Hi Icetee, thanks a lot for the visits and comment.

I've just finished a very intensive data collecting field work, and then I'll have a week of workshops and traveling. The earliest I can pick vol 7 Ch 4 is in early December, so hopefully by Christmas I have something for us all...

As for the plan for the anime volumes (1-5), i actually indeed don't plan to translate them because we know the story already. I will translate snippets of some chapters (like the almost-kiss scene after Ōdanna-sama rescued Aoi in the Dragon Palace), or other snippets where we see more of a character (that's why I translated the showdown between Ōdanna and Raijū in vol 5), but I won't go more than that.

thanks for the well wishes. I will take care of my self, and if all goes well, I should be able to return to vol 7 this December, fingers crossed!
Aziar said…
Thanks for working hard on this manga. I just saw the anime yesterday and found your blog while lookong for continuation. I hope you keep at it and become an official translator someday.
Icha said…
Hi Aziar, glad you found my blog! Welcome!

I admit I've been slow to translate vol 7 ch 4, but that's because I have a sewing project for my best friend that I've delayed for more than a year, and her birthday is coming soon. Hence I've been working on her dress. I should be able to finish the dress next week, and I should be able to pick up vol 7 ch 4 translation again. I've been missing Ōdanna and Aoi, actually, hence I'm overdue to meet them again! Fingers crossed I shall make a good progress in two weeks' time.

"I hope you keep at it and become an official translator someday." -- ooh that would be nice... but I don't have that capacity, I'm afraid. A translator should be able to translate a sentence in 1-2 minutes, and unless it's a very simple translator, I need a few minutes to translate a typical line due to the myriad kanji it has... But thanks anyway!

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 12 List of Chapters