Novel Vol 9 Epilogue (Ōdanna-sama's favourite food)



Below is my translation of Volume 9 Epilogue (I used to name it as 'Chapter 8'). Next, I will really and trully translate Vol 10 Ch 5 (where Aoi & the Tenjin-ya crew set a rescue mission for Ōdanna-sama), and then go back to finishing Volumes 7 and 8. 

To read my translation in other languages, check this tips. Please refrain from posting my translations elsewhere. If you need to quote it, please acknowledge my site for the quote, because translating from Japanese hardcopy texts to English is a really hard work...

I will delete this translation when there is an indication that the novel will be translated into English and I will replace it with the summary of the chapter.  Meanwhile, thank you for reading! 


Epilogue: Ōdanna-sama’s Favourite Food

P260-261

With tears in my eyes, I walked along the a dark tunnel with bad foothold, holding tightly in my hands a written oath that no longer has any meanings. Vaguely recognising a bright place in the distance, I head to a white door secretly standing there, making wet footprints on the dry sand. I steadily walk just like that. A walk that feels very very long.

Ōdanna-sama.

No. Setsu. Your name is Setsu, right?

You inherited the name of your clan and then buried that name away, didn’t you…

Forgive me for not being able to get you out of that place yet. Forgive me for not having that strength.

What I’ve seen must have been the things that were created by the troubles and darkness that Ōdanna-sama had been keeping in his own heart, the ones that were buried until the key opened it.  Usually, you keep your heart to yourself, always behaving like a grown up, assuming the attitude of the Master of Tenjin-ya.

P261

However, the truth is, it’s frightening, come to think of it.

The dark, cold, and cramp place where  the miasma gnawed at his body while fighting away his hunger. Even if he cried out loud, no one came to rescue him. He’s even too scared to trust anyone.

He’s someone who knows more about despair and suffering more than I did.

And yet, that child, Ōdanna-sama, the lonely oni known as Setsu… I love him so much that I tremble. But the truth is, I’m the one he does not accept.

I open the last door, white and unadorned.

“This is… the vegetable garden that Ōdanna-sama grew.”

I see.

Using my black key, I had opened doors and eventually ended up returning here, at Tenjin-ya.  Once, I saw the image of a Western-style house reflected on a fountain here, but it apparently must have been one of the locked places that the key was able to open. The place where the memories and truths of Ōgondōji-sama and Ōdanna-sama are hidden… 

“Oh-ho-ho, is that you, Daughter-in-law^?”

“?!”

P262

I heard a voice calling me from behind. I look back and see a suspicious person with a white protective suit reaching out to me. Horrified, I back away with such a rigour. 

“Aah, no, no! I’m not a suspicious person. It’s me, it’s me!”

That person wipes his face with a face towel and points to himself. Somehow, I could hazard a guess from his tone. It was Dr Saraku. 

“Doctor…Are you okay? You’re out and about in a sun-lit place.”

Wiping the tears out of the corner of my eyes, I found that Dr Saraku’s outdoor presence as being unusual. 

“Well, it’s already early afternoon, and that’s why I am wearing this protective clothing that completely blocks the sunlight. Not many of us knows that Ōdanna-sama’s vegetable garden is here. In the first place, only some of the upper echelons are allowed to enter this rooftop garden.”

“………………”

Why did Ōdanna-sama grow vegetables in this place? In such a small vegetable garden, he attentively and wholeheartedly took care of the vegetables by himself. Because he liked taking care of a small life with love as the extension of hope^. Although even now, I also perceive Ōdanna-sama’s kindness and desolation through this small vegetable garden.

“Say, Dr Saraku.”

P263-264

“Hmm? What’s up?”

“Ōdanna-sama must have wanted to grow things by himself, right? These vegetables and also… this inn called Tenjin-ya, and the folks who are working here.”

“…Yomegō-chan…”

After spending time with Ōdanna-sama at the Cultural Gate,  I found that his true intentions were very complicated. Yet, after I used the key, at length, I finally met the real him.

“As you said, Ōdanna-sama… he might have wanted to demonstrate that he could grow life out of his own hands. Although jyaki is definitely a hated being, everyone here loves Ōdanna-sama. Why, it’s because Ōdanna-sama himself is someone who cannot abandon the forsaken ones. It’s the same with me. I was in a difficult place back then. As if I was kept in an aquarium and couldn't breathe^. However, with his own oni hands, Ōdanna-sama pulled me out of that place.”

“Doctor… Saraku…”

Dr Saraku removed the hood of his protective suit in the shade. He looked at the sky beyond his eyebrows, recalling an unforgettable, distant past.

As the good doctor said. The Tenjin-ya employees involved here so far are all those who were helped, invited, or picked up by Ōdanna-sama when they were burdened with problems or desolation.

P264

O-Ryō, Akatsuki, Kasuga, and Shizuna-chan…

Also Dr Saraku, Byakuya-san, and Ginji-san seemed to be the case too. Even that Tannosuke guy reached out to him. 

And then there is me. Ōdanna-sama also saved my life. 

When I ended up being all alone, Ōdanna-sama took me to Kakuriyo and gave me Tenjin-ya and the Moonflower as a place to belong. He always, always gently watched over me. He continued to shower me with his calm affection.

“Yomegō-chan… The Hachiyō Night Meeting will start from tonight’s midnight and it will be held for the whole day. You being here surely happened because of Ōgondōji-sama’s power. But, what do you plan to do now?”

“Well… that…”

Of course. 

To rescue Ōdanna-sama, I’ve been working hard up until now. And tonight, everything will be decided, down to Ōdanna-sama’s future. If Ōdanna-sama is decommissioned from being a Hachiyō, he will be captured at the Yōto Palace. Once again, he will be sealed in a dark place just like before. 

P265

All because of  those who hate jyaki.

“I want to go to Yōto^!”

My reply decides it for me.

“I need to pick him up. He said he wanted to go home to Tenjin-ya. He said it sadly, with such a child-like eyes.”

I continued to appeal to Dr Saraku.

“I have so many things to say to him. So much gratitude… such gratitude that I can’t even begin to explain!”

Even if Ōdanna-sama says that I say those things due to my being indebted to him or because I pity him, I don’t mind. 

I will still say what I need to say. Because I love him. 

It took me a long time to arrive at this conclusion, but I’m sure that my cooking will convey my real intentions to him. It’s enough that I know where I stand, what I feel for him. 

“I understand your feelings, Yomegō-chan. Since you’re going to Yōto, I also have things to prepare. There are things that I want to show to the Yōto guys… By the way, are you leaving soon?”

“I need to go drop by the Moonflower to prepare something. I should be finished in an hour.”

P266

“Got it. Then I’ll see you at the dock in an hour.”

“Sure. …. Thank you, Dr Saraku.”

Dr. Saraku gently narrowed his eyes, half visible from his sunglasses, and nodded slowly. As if, without saying anything, he knows what I will do from now on.

“By the way. When I first saw you, I already thought that you would be the kind of girl who could walk next to Ōdanna-sama.”

“…Doctor…?”

“The one who want to rescue him from such a dark and confined place.  Although anyone tries to rescue him, that kid’s case is very difficult. I have a hunch that, in the end, you’re the only one who could pull him out of the dark bottom of the sea.”

I get the sense of parental love from Dr Saraku, Byakuya-san and Ōgondōji-sama, and that’s because they call Ōdanna-sama “that kid”.

Ōdanna-sama. More than you think, you are certainly loved by many.

With such a conviction, I also want to be your number one, hence there are things I need to tell you.

“… Your number one?”

Unexpectedly, I said those words in my heart. I gently touched my lips.

I feel like there’s still something I have yet to remember.

P267

However, this is not the time to worry about it. First, I took a very round pumpkin from the vegetable garden. Carrying it in my hand, I went down the stairs from the rooftop vegetable garden to Ōdanna-sama’s office.

As expected, Ōdanna-sama is not here. 

However, since he manages Tenjin-ya everyday here, that ambience still remains. 

Trapped underneath the grounds of this place, he was rescued and brought up by Ōgondōji-sama, and then was entrusted to be the Master of Tenjin-ya. To think that Ōdanna-sama wholeheartedly worked hard to make Tenjin-ya the grand inn that it is now, my desire to bring him home grows stronger. 

“Alright!”

After taking a big breath, I look firmly ahead. 



As I was walking quickly along the Tenjin-ya corridor, I encountered O-Ryō and Akatsuki at the front desk. Akatsuki is climbing a high stepladder to clean the front ceiling, while O-Ryō is perfunctorily supporting the stepladder while reading a newspaper extra under the stepladder.

“Heeey, Akatsukiiii. Ōdanna-sama was arrested!”

“And so what!”

P268

“What are you going to do if there’s no Tenjin-yaaaa?”

“Stop saying such a non-sense, O-Ryō! There’s no reason for Tenjin-ya not to exist. I will still be here until the very end.” 

“You’re such an annoying hard-worker, you know! Although you have to deal with complaints for compensations during business hours, you don’t get sick of this inn.”

“I’m not gonna be an unsteady complainer like you!”

“But, think about it properly, Akatsuki. We have nowhere to go and no family to go home to.”

Surprised by O-Ryō’s words, Akatsuki stopped whatever he was doing.  He cast his gaze at O-Ryō.

“O-oy, O-Ryō! I told you to hold onto the bottom part of the stairs firmly, didn’t I! It’s swinging!!”

“Ah…Yes yeeeesh ~”

Because of O-Ryō’s absent-mindedness, Akatsuki frantically tried to balance himself over the shaking stairs.

“Eh? Aoi?! Is that you, Aoi!”

From across the stepladder, O-Ryō detected my presence. Because she was again swaying at the stepladder in excitement, Akatsuki couldn’t stand it and jumped down.

P269-270

And then, he turns to face me as if he’s seeing a ghost.

“You… aren’t you supposed to be at the Cultural Gate?!”

Both of them are surprised and taken aback to find me returning to Tenjin-ya unnoticed. However, I just briefly stop to say “Yep”, and then resume to quickly walk towards the Moonflower. O-Ryō and Akatsuki stick behind me all the time.

“What happened, Aoi? Why are you in such a hurry?!”

“I’m going to make bento now. I'll pack it with Ōdanna-sama’s favourite food and then bring it to Yōto.”

“Whaaat?! Now?! Even if you’re making and bringing it now, you can’t meet Ōdanna-sama. He’s been arrested by the guys at the Imperial Court!”

“That’s true, Aoi. We can only wait here helplessly. No matter what the decision of the Hachiyō Night Meeting will be, we need to protect Tenjin-ya afterwards.”

O-Ryō and Akatsuki are trying to persuade me by saying honest yet cautious things. Nevertheless, I still go out to the courtyard, walk down the connecting corridor towards the nostalgic old Japanese style house, pull aside the sliding door of the Moonflower without its noren curtain, and breathe in the air of my place. Feels like ages ago that I did it the last time.

“Still, I’m going to pick up Ōdanna-sama. No matter what it takes, I’m going to bring him back to Tenjin-ya.”

P270

“Aoi…”

“And you two, you really don’t want to leave this place to rescue Ōdanna-sama?”

Standing behind the counter, I begin to interrogate the Tenjin-ya Office Manager and Young Proprietess^ in front of me. The two of them fell silent, seemingly asking themselves the same questions while averting my gaze.

“Ah, Aoi-sama!”

With Chibi on her head, Ai-chan came out from the back. She jumps at me, hugging me tightly as she says “Welcome back!”.

“Ai-chan, thank you for always watching over the Moonflower. Sorry for taking my time. I’m glad that Chibi has properly returned as well. Sorry for leaving things to you two.”

“I was crying… I was crying all the way…”, said Chibi. 

“So-sorry, I said sorry…”

Chibi jumps at me with such an impact and starts wailing. Next to me, Ai-chan says, “But this time he manages to stay put at home and not leaving things behind, you know…” 

I see. Despite everything, Chibi faithfully waited for me.

“You can’t leave me alone anymore. Everyone, everyone, we should always be together…”

P271

“…………..”

Everyone, everyone, we should always be together.

Chibi’s simple, unpretentious words echoes deeply in my heart that I almost cry.

That’s true, isn’t it. Everyone in Tenjin-ya wants to work here together again, with Ōdanna-sama watching over them. And now, this time, with us as the ones protecting him. 

“Alright. I’m going to make bento. But I have only pumpkin as the ingredient!”

And then, I stumbled.

That’s true. Because I was always not at the Moonflower, we don’t have any necessary ingredients here. However,

“… If you know what you need, just tell me.”

“Well, if you let me eat some, I can always snatch ingredients here and there.”

“Akatsuki. O-Ryō.”

Not sure what they think of, but they seem to think that they can get the provisions by themselves. These two ayakashi, they were very cold to me at the beginning. However, right now, they understand me better than anyone else. 

“Thanks. Well then, these are my requests.”

I asked Akatsuki for fire chicken and eggs, while I asked O-Ryō to prepare some vegetables. 

P272

As for me, I first cook some rice and, while thinking of what kind of bento to make, I check the fridge for any ingredients; surely it has at least something. 

“Oh, contrary to what I thought, we have quite a lot here. Ai-chan, have you been cooking here?”

“Of course ~. I remembered the way you cooked and decided to practice making some meals. Also, I consulted recipes from the newspaper. I read newspapers every day.”

“Wooow! You’re admirable, Ai-chan!  I knew that you were dexterous and curious, but cooking by yourself is quite hard.”

I’m impressed with my sidekicks. I need to learn more too. 

“Yes. Why, because I want to be your right hand as soon as possible. I also want Ōdanna-sama to praise me a lot, you see…”

“… Yes, I’m sure he’ll praise you.”

I give Ai-chan plentiful caress on her hair. This little girl, she might have inherited her serious and diligent personality from Ōdanna-sama.

Now. This time, I’m thinking that I will include in the bento a dish made of pumpkin that Ōdanna-sama dislikes. Because I could not forget his joyful face as he enjoyed the pumpkin meal back then when I invited him to the Moonflower for a meal.

“Aoi-sama, what will you make out of the pumpkin?”

P273-274

“Kinpira. I will sauté the pumpkin into a kinpira with the lotus roots you have here, you see.”

Ōdanna-sama once said that he disliked the sweet pumpkin. However, he might take a liking on a spicy kinpira dish of thinly sliced pumpkin with chillies. The lotus root texture will surely help the case. 


Inspired by Aoi, I made this spicy kinpira kabocha (sautéed pumpkin).
 I didn't have renkon (lotus roots), hence I omitted the renkon. Next time, I will try adding it.
 


Just in time, O-Ryō came back with some komatsuna (the Japanese mustard spinach) and spring onions, while Akatsuki brought with him a fire chicken and eggs.

“Because of the New Year, it was hard to find a shop that wasn’t closed! That’s why I had to rely on the young waitresses who live in the neighbourhood to get me something.”

"Well, I'm glad that the butcher shop was open, because here we eat fire chicken in large quantities during the New Year."

“Thank you, O-Ryō, Akatsuki. You two are sweating a lot, thank you.”

It’s amazing that they came back only after 15 minutes. They managed it so fast, I think they have used their connections while looking for any open shops.

“By the way Aoi, what are you making?”

“I’m making the Hajimari Bento^, featuring Ōdanna-sama’s favourite food.”

“The Hajimari Bento? Could it be that Ōdanna-sama’s favourite food… you … you know about it?”

“… Yes. I wonder why I didn’t notice it until now.”

“???”

I feel relieved, telling this to O-Ryō and Akatsuki. Yet, I haven’t told the two of them in detail. Instead, to the approaching Ai-chan, I asked her to make tea for those two. 

P274

Meanwhile, I hurriedly make bento. I don’t have plenty of time. However, despite limited time, my experience up until now leads my hands to automatically make the dishes.

“Aah… smells so good… It’s almost dinner time, and it’s getting difficult to ignore my hunger.”

“O-Ryō, you, what are you saying in this emergency situation!”

“Don’t be so serious, Akatsuki. Why, you yourself, your stomach has been grumbling for a while!”

Putting herself to good use, Ai-chan carries a large serving of freshly cooked rice for O-Ryō and Akatsuki. Because I’ve made okazu or side dishes for the bento, I arrange the leftover side dishes, along with pickled daikon radish and umeboshi, and present them to O-Ryō and Akatsuki.

“Have the remaining okazu with the rice. Sorry that I can’t arrange it properly on the serving tray.”

“Oh, that’s fine! The taste remains the same, you know!”

“On the contrary, these bento leftovers don’t feel off at all.”

“Really and truly, it’s the feeling of home-made rice!”

It seems both of them was truly hungry, for they gulped the meals wholeheartedly. Although it’s not a New Year’s meal, I’m happy that the meal fills their stomachs with happiness.

P275-276

I’m glad to see that they think of this place as a place to relax. I think it’s because we are already like a family now.

“Alright. Done!”

I packed the fresh side dishes in a lunch box. The lunch box that I’m using now is… exactly the lunch box that I gave to a certain oni who was sitting in front of a red torii gate before I was abducted to Kakuriyo.


(source)


(source)



That time, I didn’t know anything about Ōdanna-sama, or his favourite food, or anything else.

“Ah! But, but, I’m also hungry!”

‘I thought so, hence I have made you some onigiri, Aoi-sama…~”

“Ai-chan, you saved me! Thank you so much!”

“I-I also helped! I pushed the umeboshi in tightly! I made the onigiri delicious!”

“Thank you, Chibi…~ thanks to you, the onigiri is delicious although a bit fishy.”

My sidekicks’ affection adorns the onigiri that I eat to my heart’s content. Afterwards, I secure the Tengu fan on my back, tie the bento with the furoshiki wrapping cloth and dash out of the Moonflower.

“………………..”

However, outside the Moonflower, the branches of a willow tree caress my cheeks, triggering something in me that I stop dead on my track. 

P276

Why do I remember the words of that person, the presence of that item, at exactly this time?

I curl my fist, thinking that I might need it after all, and back track to the Moonflower.  From a closet at the back, I pulled out a box.

“This. This…might also be an important item.”

This is the Scarf of the Seven Stars^ that Ritsuko-san once gave me. Ritsuko bequeathed it to me, saying that it was something that would hide the overwhelming weakness of human beings. In winter, the hagoromo scarf has the pale cold colour that gently spreads all over it.

“Wait, Aoi, why are you in such a hurry?!”

“Right, I’m off!”

Despite O-Ryō caling me, I fold the hagoromo scarf into a small fold, put it inside my kimono chest and stand up with the intention to leave from the back door. Passing by a full-size mirror, I took a glance at my sparkling red camellia hair ornament... 

With no hesitation, I left the Moonflower.



Dr Saraku said that he’d come to the dock when he was ready.

P277

“Eh, Akatsuki and O-Ryō, why are you coming along? Ai-chan and Chibi too.”

“Well, that’s because as Ōdanna-sama’s fiancé, you can’t go to Yōto just by yourself, you know.”

“True, true. Why, Aoi, you’re rushing without thinking it through, so if we’re not there to watch over you, heaven knows what will happen. Also, it’s fine that we’re not here. We have the Proprietess anyway, you know.”

“… is that so…”

Having them both accompanying me is reassuring. Also, Ai-chan and Chibi are like, 

“It’s because I want to be your sidekick…”

“I am going where Aoi-shan is going…”

Such happy things to hear from them.



When we arrived at the dock, Dr Saraku was waiting with his fluttering lab coat. It was already completely dark, hence Dr Saraku was able to go out without his protective clothing. He was doing warming ups jovially.

“I’ve been waiting for you, Daughter-in-law!  Also, you brought with you our Front Office Manager and the Young Proprietess. We’re ready to fly to Yōto. Now come on, let’s get going!”

P278

“This… is an airship?”

The so-called airship looks like a space ship with a strange pointed tip. And we are to embark on this ship?

“This is our latest and greatest high-speed airship, Ryūseigō the Shooting Star. As the name suggests, it’s a fast airship. Though, because we’re just carrying people^, I’m not sure if that’s okay.”

“Um, Dr Saraku, who will be the pilot?”

“Hmm? Oh, that will be me. Ahaha! Don’t worry, Front Office Manager! I have a piloting permit. Though… I haven’t renewed it for the last 10 years!”

“…….”

Clatter, clatter, clatter, clatter!

This airship doesn’t stop clattering, but it’s just too scary to think that Dr Saraku will pilot it!

However, since the iron mice have been doing the maintenance, it somehow brought me a strange sense of security. 

P279-280

“Oh, surprisingly, it looks comfortable, isn’t it!”

As O-Ryō said, there are also spacious seats inside the high-speed airship, hence it does look quite comfortable. However, I don’t know who was in charge of the interior design that made it look like a children’s room…

“Aaah, umm! Aoi-saaaan!”

“Eh?”

From the round window, I can see Shizuna-chan waving at the dock. Hurriedly, I go out once again. 

“What happened, Shizuna-chan!”

“My apologies, this … please bring this with you! Aoi-san, when I heard that you were heading to Yōto, I prepared it in a hurry.”

“…this is…”

Shizuna-chan puts a palm-sized small bottle in a drawstring pouch, padded to prevent breakage, and hands the pouch to me.

“This is a very important medicine^ that I’ve developed at the Tenjin-ya basement. This is the item that the Head of Accounting asked me to prepare as soon as possible. At Yōto, whatever happens, I’d like you to hand it over to Ōdanna-sama.”

With her earnest expression, Shizuna-chan takes my hands. I suspect that this medicine has a special meaning of its own.

“… I understand. I’ll definitely hand it over to him.”

“I actually have to bring it myself, but I still have things to do at Tenjin-ya. Later, I will go to Yōto to rescue Ōdanna-sama.”

P280

“…Shizuna-chan…”

“Although I know how scary a jyaki is, I never forgot my debt of gratitude to Ōdanna-sama’s kindness. That feeling never wavers despite Ōdanna-sama being a jyaki^.”

I am happy to hear those very reliable words. Having encountered a jyaki beforehand, Shizuna-chan’s words appeals to me, giving me courage. 

“Make sure that we meet in Yōto, Shizuna-chan.”

“Yes. Aoi-san, please also take care. Nevertheless,  may the fortunes of war be with you^^.”

Bowing deeply in front of me, Shizuna-chan sent me off. 

As expected, Tenjin-ya is a good inn. Cherishing that important fact in my heart, I returned to the airship. I tuck the pouch with the medicine Shizuna gave me in between my obi layers. While thinking of the blessings of many people, I clasp my shaking hands and pray.

“Alright, let’s take off!”

On Dr Saraku’s order, the high-speed airship is taking off. And then,

“Eeeeh?! Aaaaaaaarrgghhhh!!!”

Strange voices came out because the high-speed airship was taking off with such a forceful velocity.

P281

Feeling a tremendous pressure on my body, I hug only the bento box that I have to protect. I was seized with fear, for the airship almost hit a tall tower before suddenly dropping off, and then somehow made a full turn before doing a roller coaster thing for a while. Yet, eventually it calmed down. 

“I’m gonna die…”

“No… I’m already dead…”

 “Dr Saraku! What should we do if Akatsuki’s and O-Ryō’s souls escaped their bodies!”

“Well, I think it’s fine to leave them alone then…~”

This is most definitely not a journey where you are looking forward to go to the bar for drinks or read a book… Only Ai-chan and Chibi seem to be fine, but it’s not like they think that this kind of screaming ride is fun.

As for me, I’ve just been hugging the bento box. I tightly packed the content, but I wonder if it has come to disarray just now. However, as long as it can be eaten, that’s fine. If it helps us getting to Yōto one minute earlier or even one second earlier, that’s great. 

Quick.

Quick, I want to see Ōdanna-sama. 

P282

This time, it’s my turn to rescue him from “that place^”.

And then, I want to call your name.

I want to feed you your favourite food. 

With all my heart, I want to keep returning what I’ve received from you. Perhaps, it would mean to live a life together with you. As long as we live, cuddling him close to me, walking together.

Say, Ōdanna-sama, can I walk by your side?

Will you marry me?




-TBC in Vol 10 Ch 1, but I'll do Vol 10 Ch 5 first-



Translation notes

Following Kakuriyo Translation & Fan Translator By Choice, I put the page numbers of the original novel volumes (the Japanese version) in the translation to enable any readers who can read Japanese and have the books to examine the related pages. If the last sentence of a page goes over the next page, I will put a combined page number as an indication. 

I use mainly Jisho.org for Kanji searching, though at times Romajidesu.com and Nihongo-pro.com are used as well. I use Google Translator to have a rough guess of the meaning of phrases, but then I consult my trusted Japanese grammar book for the closer approximations of the meanings (the “Japanese the Manga Way” by Wayne P. Lammers – I would have otherwise tripped on nuances such as “kita”, “iku” and “okimasu”). I use The Jaded Network for SFX effect translations.

Seigo Nakao’s “Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary” has proven to be very useful as a companion to Jisho.org. To assist with grammar, I also use Naoko Chino’s “All About Particles”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Japanese Core Words and Phrases”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Common Japanese Collocations”, Kakuko Shoji’s “Basic Connections” and Kamiya Taeko’s “Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication”.


Specific translation notes:

P261: ^ Since Volume 6, Dr Saraku always calls Aoi 嫁御ちゃん or yomegō-chan. Yomegō 嫁御 means ‘daughter-in-law’.


P262: ^The JP ver is 希望のごとく愛. The ごとく or ‘Gotoku’ part can be translated as “comparable to” or “the same as”. It seems Aoi meant that Ōdanna-sama’s love is comparable to hope to a little life. 


P263: ^The JP ver is まるで、息のできない水槽で飼われているみたいだった。

“Maru de, iki no dekinai suisō de kawa rete iru mitaidatta.”

“Maru de” means “as if” or “as though”, and “mitai” also denotes a similar meaning. Hence, it’s not that Saraku Hakase was actually kept in an aquarium and could not breathe. My understanding is that he had always been in Kakuriyo. Perhaps he was working in a difficult research institution…


P270: ^Wait, so, O-Ryō is now the Young Proprietess again? Must be in late Vol 7 or so eh…


P273: ^I translated ‘the Hajimari Bento’ from “始まりのお弁当”. Hajimari no Bento. I still haven’t found the meaning of hajimari no bento other than its verbatim meaning (the First Bento), and that it's usually used when talking about a bento box given to a child during his/her first day of school… so I’ll just leave it at that. It’s likely it’s just the way Aoi names it because it’s the first time she makes something, knowing in advance what food Ōdanna-sama likes. However, from O-Ryō’s comment later, I can’t help feeling that Hajimari Bento actually means something.


P276: ^ 七星羽衣 =ななほしはごろも、the Scarf of the Seven Stars. Hagoromo is not just a normal scarf; it’s a scarf that can stand on its own, the likes that Ritsuko-san wears and Isohime-sama wore. You can see it in old Chinese scrolls and Heian-era Japanese monogatari scrolls too.


P278: ^ I’m not sure if Dr Saraku refers to only Aoi when he said ‘hito’ 人、but since when ayakashi are talking about humans, they would use the word 人間or … humans, I think Saraku Hakase meant that they’re just carrying ayakashi, with no loads.


P279: ^ This is the medicine that Byakuya asked Shizuna to make back in Vol 7 Ch 1. Back then, I thought that the medicine would be for Ōdanna-sama, and I was right ^_^


P280: ^ Shizuna’s words encapsulate why I felt the need to translate this last chapter of Vol 9. Her feeling is but an example of the feelings the Tenjin-ya employees have for Ōdanna-sama. Yes, he’s a jyaki, but he’s a kind soul who gave them shelter, who took them under his wings when they needed help.


Also, although Shizuna had almost been devoured by a jyaki before (Tokihiko-dono rescued her in the nick of time), and Shizuna had a valid reason to be afraid of and hate jyaki, she still respects and admire Ōdanna-sama. Thus, her words mean a lot, and not just to Aoi.

^^ I translated “may the fortunes of war be with you” from ご武運、ごぶうん.


P282: ^ I think Aoi meant not just the dungeon. I think the ‘place’ she meant was the place of despair that Setsu is now in. Just like Setsu rescued Aoi from hunger and desperation when she was a child, now she wants to return the favour.)


Comments

DollyBurger said…
OMG thank you so much for uploading so soon! I’m so excited to read this. Sounds corny but I’ve had a terrible week and I’m just so happy to read this, so thank you for all your hard work. It’s incredible.
Anonymous said…
What a quick update! Thank you as always for your hard work and generosity in sharing these translations.
Icha said…
Hi Dolly! Thank you for your visits and comments!

So sorry that your week had been terrible, but I'm glad that this chapter will or has helped you.

I hope I can start working on Vol 10 Ch 5 at the end of this week. I have plenty of things to do as well, but it's a very important chapter that I want to get my hands on it as soon as possible!
Icha said…
Anon, thanks a lot for the visit and comment! Fingers crossed I can upload the next chapter in 4 weeks' time (that's usually the fastest turnaround that I can manage these days). Take care!
Tinay said…
I can’t wait to read the big rescue and big kiss woaaahhhh anyways thankyou for the hardwork and stay safe 😇
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much. This is an early Christmas present for me. I'm so happy. Well appreciated, Take care!
Icha said…
Hi Tinay and Anon, thanks a lot for the visits and comments!

Haha, I think the next chapter is more appropriate for the early Christmas present, Anon. Chapter 8 might be for Thanksgiving?

Anyway, I looked at Vol 10 Ch 5 last night. It's 37 pages, hence it's quite a lot to translate (that amounts to almost 20 pp of A4 paper to translate, single space). I think I will need more than 4 weeks to do that, but I hope I can finish it before week 4 of October... it's such a beautiful and important chapter!
Anonymous said…
OMG! Thank you for updating. I sart to read your work resently and i'm very impressed for the hard work and care you put in this story. So, please keep going! I'll be very happy to continue until the end whit you.
Icha said…
Hello Anon,

Thanks a lot for the visit and comment and glad that you found this blog! I'm so excited with the next chapter, because - no more dilly-dallying - I'm translating the part where Aoi truly confesses her love to Setsu. It's a long chapter though, so it might take up to the end of the month for me to do that, fingers crossed.
Unknown said…
Thank you very much for all the hardwork you are putting doing this for all of us faithful readers of this story! I can’t wait to read more. I understand that we all have a life and you being able to share this makes me even more grateful! Thank you!!
Icha said…
Hi Unknown,

Thank you for your encouragement! I've finished transcribing the important bits of vol 10 ch 5 (cried when transcribing it, of course...), but I still need to transcribe some other parts. Fingers crossed there's magic that I can finish my deadlines by tomorrow and earn my translation weekend peacefully. Thanks again!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for this update, I like it a lot. owo
We're finally close to seeing Setsu-san's happy scene, I'm really looking forward to it.
When I read Setsu-san's past, I was sad and felt sorry for him.
(While reading, I realized that Ginji-san is around 500-400 years old now and he took on the form of an adult (big fox), and Setsu- who was imprisoned for 500 years, when he was rescued still takes the form of a very small child. The more I realized that, the more I saw how the poisonous gases in the prison had worn down Setsu-san's body (sadly)) :,|
In short, thanks again. I saw the comments above, you've been working hard //owo// (you should take of your health too o-o)
Icha said…
Hi Anon, thanks a lot for your visits and comments!

"The more I realized that, the more I saw how the poisonous gases in the prison had worn down Setsu-san's body (sadly))" -- OMG, I didn't realise it!!

This is why it's so lovely to interact with you and other dear readers, because you have insights that I may not have, even though I translated the pages.

... I never thought that the probable reason for Setsu becoming a child again is because of the toxin in the miasma... poor boy...

thanks again! I am halfway vol 10 ch 5 now, and i cried when Aoi and Setsu interacted again... sobsobsob!!!
Anonymous said…
Finally I can 😭😭😭 (had been busy for a week and reading this chapter help me relax so much, Aoi and people's love for Setsu is supper great fvsarhrhrqbrw). Thanks, u r doin well ☺☺
Icha said…
Hi Anon,

Thanks a lot for your comment! Glad the chapter helped you relax…

I still have about 7 pages to transcribe and then I can start translating this super impactful chapter. Send me love and/or energy for that please ^_^

Hugs,
Icha
Jane said…
Hi Icha, just wanted to say a very big thank you for doing such a hard work!!! I finished watching the anime yesterday and was desperate to know what would happen to Aoi and Odanna next. I am so happy that I've found this blog! Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese, so I truly appreciate you spending your time on the translations and sharing them with us. I hate leaving great stories without a proper closure, so I hope to read Vol 10 Ch 5 soon. I guess I'll be checking your blog for updates every day :D since it seems that the next translation should be coming soon! *_*
Icha said…
Hi Jane,

Thanks a lot for the visit and comment, and I'm glad you found this blog!

Yes, I have finished transcribing the vol 10 ch 5, but there are 18 pages there, and I've translated only 2 pages so far. Fingers crossed I can have it done by next weekend (around 24 Oct). Just check again on the weekend, hope it's there! Hugs!
Jane said…
Thank you for the update! :) I will be looking forward to the new chapter!
Sofs said…
Icha, I owe you my entire year-long happiness. Kakuriyo has been by far some of the few good things since lockdown started and school took away my sanity haha. I can't thank you enough for making this titanic effort. Vol 10 Ch 5 can´t get here soon enough! Still, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

PS Fingers crossed they make an english version soon!

Hugs!
Icha said…
Hi Sofs, thank you for the visits and comment! I'm glad you found this blog! I hope you are doing well and reading this blog helps your happiness...

I'm still translating vol 10 ch 5. Roughly, it has two parts but I'm uploading them together as one post. I almost finish translating the first part, and fingers crossed i can start translating the second part by tomorrow, thus by my Sunday (AU eastern) evening, I can upload it for the fans to read. Wish me luck!
Unknown said…
Wait so do we know what his favorite food is?
Icha said…
Hi Unknown,

Yes! We do know ^_^

It’s egg dishes, specifically tamagoyaki (the Japanese rolled omelette). In Vol 10 Ch 7, Aoi saw the memories of young Setsu, and he said to Ōgondōji-sama that he liked eggs. Then, that day when he ate his last bento before being recaptured, the first thing that Setsu ate was Aoi’s Chinese omelette. Also, during the first meeting between him and Aoi, when Aoi didn’t know who he was, the first item he actually ate was also tamagoyaki. That’s why in the next chapter,

SPOILER

Aoi gave him tamagoyaki.

Happy New Year for later!

Popular posts for the last 30 days

Kakuriyo volumes 6-11 summary… and a reflection

Kakuriyo Novel Volumes 7-11 Heavy Spoilers

Volume 12 List of Chapters